Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2009 09:00

Flashed WRong BIOS -- Inspiron 600m

I just recently replaced my Inspiron 600m's motherboard. A CD containing the BIOS version came with the motherboard. When I ran the CD, there was a menu option for selecting the computer model. The Inspiron 600m did not show up on the list, but there was an option for "Other", which I selected. The computer seems to be running fine, except everytime I use it, maybe 30 minutes or an hour after running, I get the blue screen of death (BSOD). I decided to see what version of BIOS is installed, and it turns out the version running is for a Latitude D600! Selecting "Other" installed the wrong version! I'm guessing, that is the reason why I keep getting the BSOD. I downloaded the latest BIOS version for my system, but I cannot update my system now, because there is a message that says "System not supported". I'm guessing because the existing BIOS version is for a different model.

What can I do to install the correct BIOS?

Is the reason for the BSOD the wrong BIOS version?

Your suggestions are very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 3rd, 2009 09:00

The Latitude D600 and Inspiron 600m use identical mainboards.

11 Posts

June 4th, 2009 00:00

Yes, I realized that after my post -- I did a bit of online research.

Does anyone have any ideas on what's causing the BSOD?

Thanks.

11 Posts

June 4th, 2009 00:00

Yes, I realized that after posting my message -- I did a bit of online research.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's causing the BSOD?

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 4th, 2009 04:00

Could be software, or hardware.  If the hard drive is anywhere near the age of the system, boot, press F12 and load the Dell diagnostics and run an extended test.

Also check the event viewer for errors (start-run-eventvwr.msc).

11 Posts

June 4th, 2009 19:00

The system is so unstable now that I can only keep it running for about a minute, then the dreaded BSOD rears its ugly head.  How can I keep the computer running so I can solve this crashing problem?

Thanks in advance.

11 Posts

I spoke (posted) too soon.  After posting the above message and turning around to look at my laptop (I'm using a different computer at the moment), there was the BSOD.  Any ideas?

Thank you.

11 Posts

So, I opened the memory slot and reseated the two memory chips.  I didn't know they could be seated in either direction (facing up or down, as long as you install it in the right slot).  Anyway, after restarting the system, it hasn't gone BSOD on me yet.  It's been about 30 minutes now.

Next, I checked the Event Viewer app.  I don't see anything suspicious there, so hopefully it's just the loose memory chips.

By the way, the hard disk is about a year old, so I doubt that's the culprit.

Thanks!

20 Posts

June 4th, 2009 20:00

Please post the error code that the BSOD contains.  This code is usually ignored by customers, and is the most important, as it tells you exactly why it happened, and if you include the codes in parenthesis it'll even tell you what led up to it.

No Events found!