Highlighted
BartonT
1 Nickel

Freezing/ Error code M1004 HELP!!

I have an Inspiron 1505 about five years old.  Lately my computer has been freezing and shutting down for no reason.  I can be just reading and it'll freeze.  This isn't the first time it has been happening.  Back in April I had the same problem. The error message indicated that my hard drive was going bad so it was replaced.  Now it's doing it again.  This time I got error code M1004.  From what I read, this is something about heating.  What I have noticed is that the bottom of my laptop runs extremely hot.  Will getting a cooling pad help?   Any ideas will be useful.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
9 Rhodium

Re: Freezing/ Error code M1004 HELP!!

By the time you see the M1004 errors, it's likely the mainboard has been damaged enough that replacement will be necessary to solve the problem.  Before trying a cooling pad, though - verify that the fan is working, and remove the heatsink from the CPU, clean it thoroughly, and clean off all the old thermal contact material - then apply new material and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
BartonT
1 Nickel

Thanks.  Not to be even more of a computer idiot, is there any links or websites that will help me do any of what you mentioned?

0 Kudos
JeanetteB
1 Nickel

I also have been receiving M 1004 error messages.  I have read somewhere in this forum, that this is a problem with Laptops having Bios 1, 2, or 3.  I did not have this problem prior to upgrading to 'Bios A02.  My PC has been shutting down with the message about overheating.  .  I now also have problems watching streaming video.  After 5 or 10 minutes, the video starts stuttering, it also echos, and then freezes up.  I wonder if this has anything to do with the overheating error code.  Previously, I had ATT Light internet access, and could watch streaming without problems.  But now after upgrading Bios, I also upgraded to ATT Ultra, but this did not stop the streaming problems.

Dell has made available, Dell M1004 error message removal A01.  This utility will clear the error #m1004 message.  

When I try to download the removal tool, I receive message:  "Sorry, an error occurred while processing your request".  I have tried this on more than one occasion.  Suggestions, anyone?

Jeanette

0 Kudos
Mihai Andrei
1 Copper

RE: Freezing/ Error code M1004 HELP!!

In my case the error was generated by charger (E7240) .

0 Kudos