Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2010 10:00

Full Latitude D820 battery fails to power

Hello all - All tests (from Setup Battery Health, to Lights on battery) indicate D820 battery is at 100%.  But it won't power my laptop for more than half a second.  What's my next step for diagnosing problem?  Any help appreciated.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 15th, 2010 10:00

Check the contacts on the battery and mainboard to be sure they're clean and undamaged.  If possible, try the battery in another system -- if it works in another system and the contacts are OK, replace the mainboard.

3 Posts

June 15th, 2010 14:00

I've cleaned the contacts before with a rough paper.  Have just now cleaned with 2500 grit emery cloth.  all pressure contacts have a bit of spring and all fixed contacts seem stable...no battery power....Have gone thru F2, system diagnosis and all battery aboard led's say battery ok and full.  Who should I query and what would I expect the process might be... in replacing the main board?  I'm out of warranty.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 15th, 2010 15:00

The board is this one if you have Intel video:

http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=4167

If you have nVidia video, the board is different but not recommended for replacement -- there are issues with the nV chip reliability.

Any computer shop can replace the board -- labor charge will vary by region.

3 Posts

June 15th, 2010 16:00

As far as I can determine I have: 256MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110m Turbocache.  Sounds as though this laptop is in bad shape

No Events found!