Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

G

4 Posts

March 27th, 2006 03:00

Function F8 doesn't work but "extend desktop" does

I can extend my Inspiron 4100 desktop to my external monitor and it looks just fine, but I'd really rather turn that off and just "clone" or toggle my primary screen to it using function F8...but I can't.  

When I uncheck "extend my desktop...", the external display goes black and stays black even when I hit function F8 once, twice, three or any number of times.  I wait ten or fifteen seconds between each hit.

Also when I uncheck "extend my desktop...", the popup "tip" associated with the external monitor in "Display Properties->Setting" says "not active."  (Whereas when "extend desktop" is checked", the "tip" says "1280, -108" or some such thing.)

The 4100's VGA port feeds an adapter (Audio Authority HD Video Adapter) that converts the VGA to a component signal for the monitor (a plasma HDTV).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

PS: The reason I want to "clone" my 4100's screen to the external monitor is that when the desktop is "extended" I can't watch DVDs or even show still photos in full screen mode on the external monitor...they only show on the 4100's LCD screen.  I can drag things over to the right onto the external monitor but when I go into full screen mode they disappear from the external monitor and appear on the 4100's LCD only.  I'm assuming if I can turn off the "extend desktop" and "clone" the primary screen to the external monitor using Fn-F8, I will be able to see full screen on both (or one or the other).

Message Edited by gopher12 on 03-26-2006 11:38 PM

March 27th, 2006 11:00

Go into the advanced pages and enable clone through the graphics GUI tabs.

I think the graphics driver saves and restores the settings when you cycle through Fn-F8.  Pretty cool to me :)

4 Posts

March 28th, 2006 16:00

Thanks for the suggestion.

A week before I started this process and realized I needed to clone my primary, I updated my video driver. The Advanced pages became noticeable LESS sophisticated, and, it turned out, did NOT contain a clone option.

Your post thankfully triggered my curiousity about the older video driver, so I "rolled back" to the previous one...voila...it DID have the clone option.

But the old driver it did not have the resolution that my HDTV needs...1280x720. Fortunately, I have the PowerStrip software and was able to create a "custom resolution" that the video card was able to accept and save.

So I got clone to work, and I can view full-screen photos using Irfanview (thank you very much and hooray!!!)...and Fn-F8 works.

However, movies still don't show up on my TV, even though they're playing just fine on my Inspiron's screen. It doesn't matter what software I use: Windows Media Player, WinDVD, Interactual... All I see on the TV is the player and no movie.

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Message Edited by gopher12 on 03-28-2006 12:13 PM

March 28th, 2006 17:00

change the primary setting to monitor.  but then you probably won't get display on the LCD :(

4 Posts

April 1st, 2006 18:00

Spartanintexas, you were right on! Changing the TV to be primary in the Advanced->ATI Display tab gets movies to show up on the TV (and not the Inspiron's LCD...which is no big deal) using WinDVD or the Interactual player. Thank you so much!

However....:smileysad:

Yet another obstacle has appeared: yes, movies play on the TV, but only about 60 or 70 percent of the width of the movies show on the TV (either in full screen mode or within the player window if it is stretched out big).

If I move the cursor to the far right or far left, the movie playing on the TV pans/scrolls so I can see the hidden portion. Most of the vertical shows on the TV, but there's still a bit that is hidden (and can be panned to as well.)

Although both the LCD and TV are set to 1280x720 (as they must for the TV to work), apparently since the LCD max res is 1024x768, the driver is creating a 800x600 window on the LCD screen, in which the full 1280x720 can be panned/scrolled to. However, at the same time, the TV acts normally...with the full 1280x720 showing...except when DVDs are playing!

I tried turning the LCD completely off, but that made no difference--same problem.
I understand the some DVDs have a "pan" mode but it appears to be automatic...no controls for that in WinDVD or the other player.

I feel like I'm so close but can't think of anything else to try. Additional suggestions greatly appreciated!

4 Posts

April 8th, 2006 20:00

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Success!!!!  The answer:  New DVD player software called Zoomplayer Professional (free trial version, $29 to purchase), set to use the VMR 9 renderer in "renderless" mode (the other VMR modes caused a green flickering stripe at the base of the screen, and the "overlay" renderer just did the same ol' pan mode.)   Excellent video quality on our new 42" Panasonic HDTV.  Hooray!!! 

No Events found!