Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2012 02:00

Function keys not working

My top row of keys (function) seem to have either stopped working or changed function. Volume keys (F7 - F9) do not work. Brightness keys (F4 - F5) do not operate brightness but bring up the internet search box and page function, battery key (F3) moves cursor to Find field, Wi-Fi on/off (F2) and Screen selection (F1) appears to do nothing. F10 - F12 keys move the cursor around the screen and opens up a toolbar.

All other keys on the top row (other than Function) appear ok.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hi ,

Welcome to Dell Community .I see that you are facing a issue with the keyboard .Please le us know if it is a notebook or a desktop you are using.

If it is a notebook ,try reunningthe complete diagnostic test .Either from the boot partition.You will need to tap F12 as soon as you press the power button.Else you can boot from the drivers Cd and run the specific test for the keybord.

If the system is a desktop,try using another USB/wireless keyboard.

Let me know the results.

Thanks

Dell_Sukanya M

9 Posts

Should have added Inspiron 1564 Windows & and IE9.  It is not the actual function keys but the HOT keys.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 25th, 2012 03:00

Hertsman,

Try going to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then select your operating system. Under applications, download and install Dell QuickSet and see if everything works again.

Rick

1 Message

July 2nd, 2016 19:00

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series and none of the F keys work...how could this be?

No Events found!