Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2013 07:00

GPU not working correctly after installing windows 8. Dell Inspiron N5110

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 with 6gb Ram, Nvidia Geforce 525m GT 2gb memory. I have been having a real bad issue with the GPU.

I am sure all my drivers are upgraded and I have the latest Direct X. The problem is that when I run the latest games on my laptop it always displays an error about the Direct X. It says that my GPU does not support Direct X 11 but I am pretty sure it does because I used to run the same games in Windows 7 without a single problem from the GPU. 

e.g I just installed Crysis 3 on windows 8, I ran it and it showed that my GPU does not support Direct X 11. But I used to play the same game in Windows 7 without a difficulty and with the same specs. The same is with other heavy games that use Direct X 10 or 11 (of course they show different errors but all point to the same problem.) It's been quite the headache and I have looked everywhere.

I checked my Dxdiag and it showed that Direct X 11 was installed. I also checked the Nvidia Control panel and it also showed that the latest Direct X was present. Please I will be very thankful if somebody helps me with this problem, I am sure I am not the only one. I would be very grateful if the Dell community would give this matter some attention.

Thank You

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 15th, 2013 08:00

Directx 9 and 10 need to be put back.   Windows 8 is Directx 11.1

The way to put it back is to apply the DXSETUP patch from June 2010.  This applies to All windows 32 and 64 bit.  Games will gain a DX9 mode once this is installed and system rebooted.

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

You download the 100 meg file and extract into a folder then run DXsetup.exe.

Then Run the Windows Assessment again and it will show DX9 and DX10 gpu evaluation on the screen.

Then go into control panel,  All control panel Items,  System,  Advanced system settings,  Adjust Appearance for Maximum performance.  (This will disable AERO transparent windows and speed up FPS on all games.)

You must also use the DELL Provided Drivers for INTEL Video and the NVIDIA GPU.

They are paired.   Without that the drivers can become broken and only see the INTEL HD Graphics.

Turn off visual effects

If Windows is running slowly, you can speed it up by disabling some of its visual effects. It comes down to appearance versus performance. Would you rather have Windows run faster or look prettier? If your PC is fast enough, you don’t have to make this tradeoff, but if your computer is just barely powerful enough for games, it can be useful to scale back on the visual bells and whistles.

You can choose which visual effects to turn off, one by one, or you can let Windows choose a bunch for you. There are 20 visual effects you can control, such as the transparent glass look, the way menus open or close, and whether shadows are displayed.

3 Posts

July 15th, 2013 19:00

I am sorry, this answer didn't fix my problem and I am getting the same problem again. Please somebody help!

No Events found!