Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Q

June 3rd, 2012 11:00

GRAPHICS faded out, ghosting bright images, mouse slow

My Dell XPS L702x , GT555 card, 8gig ram, W7 The graphics seem very messed up. I can see the screen but it's very bright. It has a Ghost effect of previous screens. Ie the screen changes fade in and out, the system is ridiculously slow. The mouse tails and is hard to find let alone control. Then occasionally but not always, it pops back to perfect imaging. When it boots with the error, even the login profile screen is poor. The password types with a vertical bar next to each letter typed. . I have backed up / rebuilt to a previous full disk partition. Ie refreshed all to time when prob didn't occur. No effect. Prob still there. I have disabled GT555. No effect. I've reinstalled all graphics elements. No effect. It is now hit and miss if the graphics are working when I boot the PC. Once it is working, it stays good for as long as it is on. But if PC goes into sleep mode then it wakes up with the problem,,l and will never reset itself. Laptop is unusable in this state. Pretty sure this isn't software..But ??????? Anyone any ideas. It all points to hardware issue. Wll be calling dell when they open but any ideas meantime all I can do is keep rebooting until it boots in a working mode. So far today.. this is not happening. Seems completely bust now... Thanks Kev.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 3rd, 2012 11:00

Check to see if the image is OK on an external monitor.  If it is, the LCD screen needs to be replaced.

25 Posts

June 3rd, 2012 13:00

I'm not able to do this. Only has hdmi output. I don't have any hdmi monitors,. I will try via hdmi through an av receiver to an lg tv, but I already unfpderstand that tv output is not supported by this intel graphics card ,,,, but will give it. A try and report back.

25 Posts

Not sure this is relevant but.... To give you an idea of the ghosting effect.  I can have Control Panel open, with a black wallpaper. Then if I shutdown and restart, when it reboots to the Login screen, I can still see the wallpaper and control panel window from the previous SHUTDOWN session, as a ghostly image behind the login screen.  Clearly the screen is not being "driven, refreshed etc.    Any one any ideas.  I can still just see enough to resent settings etc.

25 Posts

correction,  was able to test.  HDMI utput to a HD TV givese perfect picture. So it seems it's not the graphics card...yes ?

But maybe the laptop screen ???  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 3rd, 2012 15:00

One last thing to try is reseating both ends of the cable that runs between the mainboard and screen.  If that doesn't fix the problem, the screen needs to be replaced.

25 Posts

June 3rd, 2012 16:00

Yeah,,, thought about that, I remembered watching the engineer replace the webcama few months back,  i figure he may have loosened the cable. I am Not sure how to remove the side of the screen,,,but will start there. Cheers.

25 Posts

June 4th, 2012 02:00

Yesterday... no end of reboots would resolve the creen issue.... Even shutdown and left alone for an hour or so before retrying... but no joy.

This morning... booted with perfect graphics ??  

Leads me to suspect a temperature issue with hardware.  Cannot be cable.   Any ideas anyone ?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 4th, 2012 03:00

quofiend,

Try running the full diagnostics. It tests for hardware. How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

Report back any error messages.

Rick

25 Posts

June 4th, 2012 14:00

All diagnostics passed from the Dell "check pc" software Prog run from within windows.  

The Laptop has had perfect graphics for the last 12 hours. I've been using Adobe Premiere  CS 5.5 , Corel PSP, Word, Outlook etc.. All with no probs. But I,ve not let it power down screen or enter sleep mode. so all good.

But after 1 reboot the prob is back. It Took me a few minutes to find the mouse pointer the screen was so bad.

During boot diagnostic test, I can still see the 'shadow' of the prev windows session.

and the blue screen/white text is also fading in and out. Ie. each "window" (dos type window) takes a second to fade in.

Extended diagnostic (via boot) running now.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 4th, 2012 18:00

quofiend,

Maybe try reinstalling the video drivers.

Was the operating system recently install/reinstalled? If yes, were the drivers installed in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Rick

25 Posts

June 5th, 2012 03:00

Thanks all for suggsestions.   rick, I backed up complete partition , I reinstalled every driver there is. Run all diagnostics. Which were a valid suggestion  ut turned out to be completely pointless because they were based on my subjective input,  Eg did you see a red screen.  Y/N. .   Well yes i did but it faded in slowly, from the prev screen.   eg. Video text test 0.  This test seemed to show a screen full of zeros. I am not sure if this is what it was supposed to show, but the prompt asked me  "is this ok?" ... Well ... I guess so, but how do i know ?   What was expected ?

Dell sending engineer out to replace the screen. so a few days to wait now.

Cheers all

Kev

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 5th, 2012 04:00

Kev,

Thanks for the update. Let us know how things turn out.

Rick

25 Posts

June 7th, 2012 05:00

Dell engineer replaced LCD and all now working perfectly.  As always, this was the first time anything like this has ever happened and nobody had see such a problem before !!!   :-)     yeah right !!!  

Good service though.. . At least they accepted the LCD was the issue and sent engineer with new one.   I've used Dell's for 10+ years. Carried laptops all over world , bought several destops too... and never seen a engineer. But this XPS L702x (which has never left the house) has had three engineer call outs in its first 6months.  Great machine when its working, but appallling quality despite the good service.  

Lets see how long it lasts this time.

August 5th, 2016 06:00

My desktop is doing the same thing.  So let me understand you right.  The engineer came out, replaced your screen and all is well?  I ran 6 different virus programs on my computer thinking I had a virus and all 6 came back with no virus found.

No Events found!