Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

February 1st, 2017 03:00

HDD Disappearing?

Hi all

I have a Dell Inspiron 15-7000, with a 256GB SSD for the system drive, and a 1TB harddrive for the data.  Just tonight, the 1TB harddrive has started disappearing from 'My Computer'.  It usually occurs while I'm filming a game for Youtube, and both the filming and the game data files are on the 1TB harddrive.

I have disabled Intel Rapid Storage Technology, as I've heard that this can cause problems.  However, this is still occurring.  Do I have a faulty harddrive on my hands, or is there something else I can do to fix this problem?

532 Posts

February 1st, 2017 10:00

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

Access BIOS by tapping once you start the computer. Check if the HDD is detected in BIOS. Secondly, check the SATA mode.

Also, Check if the BIOS is set to UEFI or legacy mode and let us know the exact model of the system. 

5 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 00:00

Hi,

To answer your questions, the BIOS is in UEFI mode.  The detected drives are 'SATA-0', 'SATA-1' and 'M.2 PCIe SSD-0'.

This issue only started happening last night (24 hours ago - AEST), and it usually occurs when I'm running both Trainz a New Era and Bandicam at the same time.  The data files for Trainz (i.e. models, routes, etc.) are stored on the harddrive with the program files (.exe) on the SSD.  Bandicam also records its video to the harddrive, however this issue occurs even when Bandicam isn't recording.

This laptop is only a few weeks old - am I going to have to ask for a warranty replacement?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 2nd, 2017 07:00

Tbdanny wrote: ' This issue only started happening last night (24 hours ago - AEST), and it usually occurs when I'm running both Trainz a New Era and Bandicam at the same time".

If the issue still isn't fix.....:emotion-2:

I'm assuming this issue only happen when you using both programs, correct ? If yes, I suggest you update the System Setup(BIOS). Please click on link below to safety install latest BIOS version.

https://youtu.be/mWn9YfxtYBo

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

After you have updated the BIOS, I suggest you update the Chipset & Video drivers in correct (Installation) order. Please click on link below:

How to reinstall drivers in the correct order | Dell US

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:emotion-2:

Please type Device Manager Control Panel onto [Cortana] search box, stroll down to Disk Drive and then expand it. Right click on drive and then update it. Please update any firmware in device manager as well. After update, power off system, remove AC adapter & all peripherals, wait a few minutes, replace adapter, and then power on system. Hopefully issue is resolved.  

Dell Inspiron 3543:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 2nd, 2017 08:00

Or.....

Run the 'Guide Me' option which automatically update drivers for you. Please watch Dell video below and follow instructions to run the Guide Me option.

532 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 09:00

Please try the troubleshooting steps suggested by LSUFAN51 and post the results.

No Events found!