Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2014 23:00

HDD cable and bracket for M3800

Hi,

I bought M3800 without internal HDD but I want to add additional HDD now. Can I buy HDD cable and bracket for M3800 or can I use any alternative one?

Thanks

21 Posts

December 1st, 2014 17:00

Yes indeed.  I ordered the HDD bracket 21YWY and HDD Interposer Cable DG95V from Dell, bought a 61WH battery from eBay (Dell did not carry it at the time....) and a Samsung EVO 1TB SSD drive from Amazon.  It was easy to install (although you need a very small size 3 torx scree to remove the bottom cover) and works like a charm.

December 2nd, 2014 08:00

I just went through this same process or adding a second hard drive to my M3800. Without the part numbers listed in this post, I probably still wouldn't have my parts. Most people I spoke with didn't have a clue what I was looking for.

A correction to the info above. The torx screws that hold the bottom cover on are T5. You can confirm this by searching for "Recommended Tools" in the owners manual (binar.pl/.../precision-m3800_owner_manual.pdf). Just wanted to clarify that in case someone goes out and buys a single torx screw driver specifically for this. I ended up buying a precision screw driver kit from Canadian Tire that has a bunch of small bits, including a T5.

I'd also like to add, based on my experience, make sure Dell includes the screws with your order. I got my bracket and cable last week and there was no screws included.

You need 4 screws to attach the bracket to your hard drive and you need 4 screws to mount the bracket inside the laptop.

I contacted Dell support and they are sending me the screws. Once I have the order details I'll post the part numbers or descriptions for the screws, unless someone else already has that info to share.

459 Posts

February 10th, 2014 23:00

Storage Options4 Support for two storage devices: one 2.5" drive; one solid state Mini-Card Dell; Fast Response Free Fall Sensor standard
• Hard Disk Drive (HDD): 500GB up to 1TB 2.5” 5400rpm SATA 6Gb/s
• Solid State Hybrid Hard Drive (SSHD): 500GB 2.5” SATA 6Gb/s with 8GB solid state storage
• Solid State Drive (SSD): 256GB or 512GB 2.5” SATA 6Gb/s
• Solid State Mini-Card storage device (mSATA): 128GB, 256GB or 512GB

http://partnerdirect.dell.com/sites/channel/Documents/Dell-Precision-M3800-workstation-spec-sheet.pdf

222 Posts

March 20th, 2014 08:00

You can talk to a rep and order the bracket and drive connector, though in my experience of trying to buy this exact thing it ran into a lot of delays. You also have to make sure you have the smaller 6 cell battery because the standard 9 cell takes up the space where the second HD would be installed.

If you have the right battery, the part I was quoted was Assembly,Bracket,HDD,9530 for $6.18 US.

21 Posts

August 6th, 2014 13:00

After much searching, multiple chats and phone calls, I finally got the proper parts details and numbers.  They are:

HDD bracket 21YWY 

HDD Interposer Cable DG95V

Then, I have to source a 61WH battery to replace the existing 90WH battery :(

1 Message

September 15th, 2014 10:00

I have a similar problem with an order that went wrong! Were you able to buy the interposer from Dell? How much did it cost?

2 Posts

December 1st, 2014 08:00

Hi,

Were you able to install a second SSD in the end? Where did you buy the necessary parts?

Thanks

December 4th, 2014 07:00

For those who are interested,

The screws that are used to attach the bracket to the hard drive are

Part #: 2864D|90613

Description: SCR,M3X3,KSH,MS,BLO

The screws that are used to attach the bracket to the laptop are

Part #: 63PDH|90613

Description: SCR,M2.5X5,PHH,TF,BCS

4 of each are required

2 Posts

December 13th, 2014 09:00

My m3800 has just arrived. Guys, where am I supposed to order these parts? I was not able to find this page on the dell web-site...

Thanks

1 Message

January 28th, 2015 06:00

I found this parts on ebay

I ordered it and everything was ok

3 Posts

November 2nd, 2015 14:00

Hi,

I bought a m3800 with a 6 cell battery and I was planning to install a second hdd. Anyway, I found out there was the bracket and the interposer missing so I asked them for spare parts.

Dell commercial agent said that they are not selling them anymore. I try to look on internet but I found it cost 100$ for the bracket (amazon) and almost the same for the interposer.

Does someone knows is there any alternative beside sending back the computer and then order a new one with a second hdd?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 3rd, 2015 04:00

The frame is on EBay for about $17:

< >

< >

the connector is there as well for about $10.

3 Posts

November 3rd, 2015 04:00

Thanks, I found them after posting my comments, I ordered them, I hope they'll work, what about warranty?

1 Message

April 29th, 2016 11:00

Thanks for the bracket and cable information, but it's a Torx T5 screw driver.

No Events found!