jlandwehr61
1 Nickel

HDD replacement process to insure OS recovery for Inspiron 1545

Jump to solution

I am looking at a possible HDD failure. I am wondering what it takes to replace the drive and recover my Windows 7 64bit OS? I have 2 Dell System Recovery Disks that I made when I bought the Inspiron 1545. Is it as simple as replacing the hard drive and booting from Disk 1 of the System Recovery Disk? I don't think I should have to pay for Windows 7 again, having taken the precautions of creating the System Recovery Disks when I got the laptop. Please send any links to process/procedure. 

I am looking at this drive as a replacement. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate---Momentus-500GB-Internal-Serial-ATA-Hard-Drive-for-Laptops/9326428.p?id=1218085426687&skuId=9326428

Please note I also have a Windows 7 System Repair Disk that was created at the same time as the SRD's.

And advice/help appreciated.

Jim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

Re: HDD replacement process to insure OS recovery for Inspiron 1545

Jump to solution

Yes.  If you want even better performance there's the Seagate Momentus XT, which is a hybrid hard drive-solid state drive.  Or, you can use a solid state drive, though you'll likely have to go with a smaller drive because of the cost (500 G SSDs are still relatively expensive - upward of $400 or more).

6 Replies
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Yes, those discs will restore the system to the way it was when you received it.  Put the first disc in the drive, press F12 at powerup and boot from it - then follow the instructions.

0 Kudos
jlandwehr61
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks enj. A big relief and good to know. When I do that from the current (failing/failed) HDD, it runs through the first disk and just hangs at a black screen with a cursor that is responsive to the touchpad. It never asks for disk 2. Restores in the past have worked and usually prompt you for disk 2, correct?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

It should, yes - but if you're trying it on a known-faulty drive, it may not work properly.

0 Kudos
jlandwehr61
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Can I replace the 5400 RPM 320GB HDD, with a faster 500GB 7200 RPM?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Yes.  If you want even better performance there's the Seagate Momentus XT, which is a hybrid hard drive-solid state drive.  Or, you can use a solid state drive, though you'll likely have to go with a smaller drive because of the cost (500 G SSDs are still relatively expensive - upward of $400 or more).

Highlighted
jlandwehr61
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

enj, I bought a 320 GB 5400 RPM drive last night from Best Buy, installed it, put in the OS recovery disk I got with the Inspiron and an hour later I am back to normal. Thanks much for your advice and guidance. Any recommendations on a backup strategy? I have 4 laptops in my household, and am thinking a Macrium image of each should suffice. I'm open to suggestions though.

0 Kudos