Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 31st, 2014 15:00

HDMI cable

Have just unwrapped my new Dell u2413 monitor with premium color. I gather that I will need an adapter to connect the Display port cable to my laptop. However, I already have an HDMI cable which could fit without adapter. Is there any difference in quality outcomes?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 31st, 2014 21:00

cablequery,

The maximum resolution for this monitor is 1920x1200 60Hz on all ports. So no, you will not see a difference between them.

6 Posts

January 31st, 2014 23:00

Thanks for that. Have now connected the HDMI cable and switched on new monitor but screen says "no DVI-D"  and wont proceed with its setup.

Do I need also to connect the black cable with big white ends that came in the box. It looks something like a printer connection with sets of pins at both ends? If so I will need an adapter.

6 Posts

February 1st, 2014 03:00

I am setting up my new u2413 and have connected to power and joined USB and HDMI cables to my laptop. Monitor refuses to set up saying "no DVI-D cable connected". Do I need to join an additional cable supplied with the monitor -- namely the one with large white ends (with pins), something like printer connectors. If so, does this make the HDMI cable superfluous ?

1 Rookie

• 

719 Posts

February 1st, 2014 03:00

Try to select manually HDMI input in monitor's OSD menu (Menu touch button -> input source)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 1st, 2014 10:00

What video out ports are on the laptop? Are you saying you set it up like this?

Laptop HDMI out port --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> monitor HDMI in port

If yes, while both the monitor and laptop are on, press the monitor Menu button, 4th from top, choose Input Source- HDMI. Then, go into the laptop display settings and enable the laptop HDMI out.

6 Posts

February 1st, 2014 18:00

only video outport on my laptop appears to be a small female socket with three rows of five pinholes.

I have changed OSD source display to HDMI but can't find how to choose HDMI through my laptop's display settings. Before I bought the 2413 I have been successfully using an older external monitor through the small socket I described above.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 1st, 2014 18:00

three rows of five pinholes = VGA

Here is the U2413 User's Guide:
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_display_projector/esuprt_Display/dell-u2413_User%27s%20Guide_en-us.pdf

On page 9 it shows what ports are available on the monitor:
DisplayPort
Mini DisplayPort
DVI
HDMI

You need to ask the guys on the Laptop Video board what your options will be going from Laptop VGA to one of those ports on the monitor.

No Events found!