Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 24th, 2013 04:00

HDMI output in grayscale

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 15 Laptop (L502X) with a HDMI-output and Mini Displayport. I'm running WIndows 8 x64.

I have my laptop in a configuration with 2 external monitors, both Samsumg Syncmasters (one on HDMI, one on DP).

Recently, the screen of the one with connected through HDMI turned to grayscale. The image is still correct, only there are no colors (apart from black to white).
This problem is not related to the monitor, because when I connect the laptop to my TV (Panasonic Viera) it has the same problem.

Any ideas how to fix this no color issue?

Thanks in advance,

Jens 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 24th, 2013 05:00

In the control panel for your video adapter, use the "reset to defaults" option -- that should fix the problem.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

Hi jensvdr,

This could be an HDMI cable issue, hence try connecting a known good HDMI cable and check if the display works fine.

6 Posts

Hi Senthil,

Thanks for the quick response.

The cable I use to connect to the TV is known to be working. It is used between a set-top box and the tv. I unplugged it from the set-top to plug it in to the laptop. When I plugged it back in the set-top, it worked in color again.

Jens

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

It seems to be more common than not with Windows 8.  

6 Posts

Thanks, reseting to defaults worked. Though I don't know why the settings changed in the first place...

Jens

6 Posts

By it, I meant the connection from the set-top to the tv. The hdmi laptop output still is in grayscale.

Jens

2 Posts

May 14th, 2013 04:00

I am having the same grayscale over HDMI issue with my Dell Lattitude E6530.  How exactly do you reset the video driver to default? 

I have the latest versions of both the Intel HD Graphics 4000 and the NVidia NVS 5200M installed, but can't figure out how to reset either to default.  Which driver is causing the problem.

6 Posts

May 14th, 2013 05:00

Right click on your desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel". Then select "Adjust desktop color settings" on the left (below "Display"). There you'll see all connected monitors. Just select the right one and click on "Restore Default" in the upper right corner.

I don't know if you have to click some "Apply" button, but if visible, click it and you're done.

Jens

2 Posts

May 14th, 2013 20:00

Yes, thanks that worked. I forgot to first select the monitor connected through HDMI.  Selecting Restore Default and Apply then restored the color.

1 Message

October 13th, 2013 20:00

Still not working for me :(. By video adapter you meant the NVIDIA Control Panel, right? The cable was working before so I'm pretty sure it's not because of the cable. It just didn't work just now.

1 Message

March 15th, 2014 06:00

Thanks, I had the same problem and restoring to default worked for me!:emotion-11:

1 Message

August 2nd, 2015 14:00

Thank you !!! I suddenly started having this problem and had been searching for a solution for days !

No Events found!