Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2015 15:00

HELP - DELL INSPIRON 3542 "Internal hard disk drive not found..."

Hello. I am working with The 15" Inspiron 3542 laptop and when I went to turn it on this morning, an all black screen came up and this message was written in small white letters near the top,

"internal hard disk drive not found

to resolve this issue, try to reset the drive. No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 enter Setup Menu, F5 enter PSA"

Please help. Thanks,

-Brandon

• 

3.3K Posts

April 20th, 2015 21:00

Hi Brandon,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum.

Turn on the system, at startup or at Dell logo tap F2 to open BIOS. In the BIOS screen, check what is listed for fixed HDD. If the HDD size is not listed, try reseating the HDD & check if it helps. Refer to the link below for the service manual.

http://bit.ly/1iFkWZz

Reply with your findings to proceed further.

2 Posts

November 12th, 2015 14:00

Hello, I am having the exact same problem with the exact same model Dell, Inspiron 3542.  I am getting the same error message.

My BIOS screen shows the hard drive is still there.

What would you recommend I do next?

1 Message

April 9th, 2016 07:00

Hi, I have the same model and same problem but the hard drive has been reseated and it is still showing 0GB in the BIOS and Diagnostics still says it cannot find the hard drive. Mine froze while I was working and when I rebooted I got the message no hard drive  detected. My hard drive has a date of  14 April 2014 on it.

I told diagnostics to continue running and it found everything but the hard drive. 

Help! Thank you

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 9th, 2016 11:00

The  hard drive is toast -- if the system is under warranty, call Dell and they'll replace it.  If it's not, you'll need a new 7 mm SATA notebook drive -- hard drive, hybrid drive or solid state drive.  You'll also need the recovery media you (hopefully) made when you received the system.  If you did not make that, you will need to call Dell to purchase a recovery flash drive for the system.

2 Posts

May 22nd, 2016 05:00

Hey, do you remember what did you do to fix this problem?

2 Posts

August 19th, 2017 22:00

I have the same problem but my laptop said primary hard drive NONE

No Events found!