Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2014 05:00

HELP!! Dell xps 12 touchscreen convertible ultrabook - will not POWER UP

Hi everyone,

As my username suggests, I am not very technical - that said I took the plunge and bought a Dell xps 12 touchscreen convertible last year in April (from the dell online outlet store). I haven't used it as much as I thought I would due to unforeseen work commitments. However, today after about a month of non use I plugged my ultrabook into the power supply and tried to boot the computer up. I am distressed to find that the machine is not turning on. I have now had it hooked up to the power supply for approximately 35 minutes and the ultrabook is still dead - not responding. I should mention that the last time I used the ultrabook it was working fine and I wasn't aware of any issues when powering it down. Although I usually needed to keep it plugged  into the power supply as the battery life was far too short for the things I needed to use it for.The power supply itself appears to be working as the green light is illuminated on the power block. Anybody got any suggestions or advice to help me fix this. I have read somewhere that this machine has a tendency to be hard to shake out of sleep mode. I don't think that is the issue... but if it is... how would I go about checking that?

Please HELP! Any support with this will be gratefully received.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 23rd, 2014 14:00

Batteries die even faster when they are not used and charged regularly especially if not stored properly. Try charging it overnight. 35 minutes will do nothing for a computer that has not been used in weeks or months. Tomorrow after charging try to boot. If it still won't work try removing the battery and use the adapter alone if your model allows that. If that works, use it that way until you can replace the battery or replace the computer. Make sure the electrical outlet is working when you plug in the adapter. Since you bought it from an outlet store, the battery was most likely at or near its end of life when you got it. Batteries can fail after a year. Most last longer than that-- about 2 to 3yrs.

No Events found!