Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 26th, 2016 19:00

HELP! How do I remove all 4 memory sticks in M7510?

Hi,

I recently got a refurbed M7510 with 16GB memory and my intention was to replace the memory to get 64GB total.

So, I bought a 64GB kit, and started to open up the M7510.

I removed the battery cover, battery and the bottom cover, and I see 2 empty SODIMM slots, but I can't see any way to get to the 2 (apparently) 8GB sticks that are already installed (chip-side down)!!

Can anyone tell how to remove those 2 memory modules?

Thanks,

Jim

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 27th, 2016 04:00

The other two modules are under the keyboard, which must be removed to access them.

Service manual:

www.dell.com/.../Removing-and-installing-components

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 27th, 2016 05:00

The manual for the 7510 shows the memory under the keyboard (see the service manual link I posted above).  Only the keyboard needs to be removed - not the palmrest.

21 Posts

August 27th, 2016 05:00

Hi,

Thanks!  That is what I was afraid of :(...

Also I found this:

www.ihowfix.com/.../

which is for an M7710, but it looks like I'd also have to remove the palmrest in order to get to the top 2 memory modules.  Is that the case?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm trying to decide if this is something I want to try myself (gulp :)!) vs. try to find some place that will do it for me.

Thanks again,

Jim

21 Posts

August 27th, 2016 06:00

Hi,

Are you talking about the image on the left side of this page:

www.dell.com/.../Removing-the-palmrest

That image is of the bottom of the laptop, showing the 2 slots that are accessible from the bottom.

Can you provide a link showing the top 2 memory slots?  

Sorry for asking again.  I'm just trying to assess whether this is something I would be willing to try myself and not get in trouble mid-upgrade.

Thanks again!

Jim

21 Posts

August 27th, 2016 06:00

Here's another video.  This one is supposed to be about the actual M7510:

www.youtube.com/watch

At about 2:47 he removes the keyboard and it looks like the palmrest piece covers almost the entire area...  I don't see the top 2 memory slots?  

In fact, even after he removes the palmrest and the heatsink assembly, I don't see the top 2 memory slots, so I am not sure where they are?

Jim

21 Posts

August 27th, 2016 07:00

I think this closeup, from 3:34 of that video, makes it easier to see that the memory sticks are stacked/offset:

21 Posts

August 27th, 2016 07:00

Hi,

I think I found it (under the keyboard like you said?).  Is it the part circled in red below?  Sorry, I was expecting the two memory to slots to be back-to-back, but it looks like the top 2 slots are "stacked":

Is that where the top 2 memory slots are?

Thanks,

Jim

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 27th, 2016 08:00

Yes, those are the memory sockets.  The black plastic is an insulator to prevent the lower module from contacting the mainboard.

21 Posts

August 28th, 2016 03:00

I was able to install the 2x16GB RAM modules in the "top" 2 slots, to get a total of 64GB.

One difference I found in my M7510 vs. the video I linked and the screen grabs I posted is that on my M7510, there was an aluminum cover over the RAM module area.  One screw was holding that cover down, so no problem.

The worst part was actually removing the trim piece around the keyboard, and then the keyboard itself.  I bought a set of those tools for disassembling laptops and cell phones to get the tools to do that without scratching up the laptop, but even then it was a kind of a pain!

No Events found!