Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2016 23:00

HELP! I CAN NOT ACTIVATE PRE-INSTALLED WINDOWS

I HAD TO REINSTALLED WINDOWS 7 DUE TO DRIVERS CONFLICT.  HOWEVER, WINDOWS DO NOT ALLOW ME TO ACTIVATE THE KEYS THAT COME WITH THE LAPTOP SAYING THAT IT IS A PRE-INSTALLTED WINDOWS AND I NEED TO CONTACT DELL.

HOWEVER, IN DELL DOWNLOADING CENTER I CANNOT FIND ANYWAY TO DOWNLOAD A PRE-INSTALLTED WINDOWS OS.

SO PLEASE HELP ME. SORRY THIS IN IN ALL CAPS, I AM REALLY DESPERATE.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 11th, 2016 10:00

KHANHLE205,

We will need more information from you in order to help resolve this issue. What computer model do you have? You mention you reinstalled Windows on the computer. Did you use an OEM version of Windows to install or a Retail version.  Depending on your computer Dell has ISO versions of Windows at the link below for downloading and installing. Not all computers are allowed to download. 

Windows Backup Media

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 11th, 2016 13:00

You can Download a Windows 10 RS1 .iso and clean install with your Windows 7 OEM Product key:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

4 Posts

August 12th, 2016 06:00

Thank you very much, I will try that later I can not download windows 7 with my pre-installed windows key.

4 Posts

August 12th, 2016 06:00

My laptop model is XPS 15 L502X. My service tag can be seen on the uploaded picture which is 4VZNSQ1.

4 Posts

August 15th, 2016 08:00

Hello, turns out windows iso file are not available for my service tag. So what is the windows key on the sticker at the bottom of my laptop?

I am confused. It should be a legit key, right? 

Again, here is a photograph of the sticker.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 15th, 2016 10:00

It is a legitimate OEM key yes - it can be used with a Dell OEM windows installation disc.  It CANNOT be used with any non-OEM locked installation media.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 15th, 2016 11:00

As I mentioned it can be used with a Windows 10 RS1 .iso.

It can also be used with a Windows 7 Retail .iso but phone activation is required so Dell branded Reinstallation Media is preferred for a Windows 7 reinstall.

No Events found!