Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 23rd, 2010 11:00

Hard Disc Partitions

Why is the hard disk on my new Dell 1464 laptop partitioned? I can understand advantages for partitioning a drive but I would like to know what Dell's reasons are. Is Disc D meant for data only or programs and data? Or should the applications (programs) go to the C drive. Also, should I set up a document structure on the D Drive to be recognized by the Windows 7 documents library??

288 Posts

March 23rd, 2010 12:00

You should leave everything as it is. The extra partition is your recovery partition and should not be messed with.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 23rd, 2010 12:00

It would seem Dell is shipping a smaller Windows partition C: and a larger D: partition - you SHOULD INDEED use D: for your data files (documents, etc.).  The logic behind that is that if you need to do a factory image restore, you lose no data if you've stored data on D:  However, you can either install programs to C: or D: -- parts of them will NEED to go to the C:\windows directory;  the rest can go on D.  Unlike data, once you restore to factory, all programs will then need to be reinstalled -- the advantage to putting them on D: is that it'll leave more space on C: for Windows.

1 Message

April 28th, 2010 05:00

My 1764 came partitioned as well. My C partition was filling up fast and the D partition contained a few files, none that are really necessary. I deleted the D partition and the C partition expanded fully.  As long as you have the setup CDs, I would make no reservations about deleting the D partition. Just make sure you don't have any files saved in that partition first.

Using D for your data would be a good idea IF you could easily repartition, but you won't be able to without reinstalling windows. While you can shrink the D partition, I don't see any way to expand the C portion. I use an external hard drive for my data since I work off of three different machines.

No Events found!