Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2016 01:00

Hard drive error 2000-0142 on diagnostics

Hi,

My laptop takes a lot of time in restarting. Generally i keep my laptop on hibernate or sleep and it works perfectly for 1-2 weeks. But whenever I restart or shutdown, it takes lot of time in restarting. I have to start it 2-3 times then only it starts working. While restarting if i choose safe or networking mode it works fine but if I choose normal mode it takes time and I have to restart 2-3 times.

So to check the problem, I ran diagnostics test. Every test is fine except hard drive test. It shows error 2000-0142. Hard drive o- S/N S2WDFCJX

Kindly let me know the solution.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 22nd, 2016 07:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

This is a potential Hard drive failure error .If you are able to boot the system then kindly back up the data , update the driver and also the BIOS . Once that is done you can format the hard drive and re-install the Operating system .

In the case this doesnt work then we would to replace the hard drive,kindly private message the service tag and email address.

Thanks

Robin

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 22nd, 2016 08:00

2000-0142 means the HDD has failed and needs replaced. I wouldn't perform a BIOS update on a failing HDD... Ensure you backup your data to an external HDD.

No Events found!