Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2016 14:00

Has anyone get Bitlocker to work on E7470 without requesting recovery key on boot?

I have tried everything i can think of and am not able to get the notebook to boot without requesting the Bitlocker recovery key. I am resolved that there is something wrong with the HW but if someone has it working, I would like to compare notes. 

6 Posts

March 1st, 2016 09:00

The problem was the BIOS. The computer shipped with BIOS version 1.1.6 and the O/S was not able to read the TPM chip. I upgraded the BIOS to version 1.3.0 and now Bitlocker can read the chip and doesn't prompt for the recovery key..

1 Message

March 1st, 2016 18:00

I am having a similar issue. What version of Windows are you using?

3 Posts

May 16th, 2017 11:00

We are at the latest Bios level as of 5/16 and have 2 in Mexico doing the same thing. It bitlockered during the OSD task. Never seen that before.. HELP!

4 Posts

May 18th, 2017 03:00

Orion2672, did you mean it did "NOT" bitlocker during the OSD task?  

The May 16, 2017 BIOS 1.15.4 that is to address security advisory CVE-2017-5689 / INTEL-SA-00075 is giving me the same issue with TPM.  We are unable to start bitlocker encryption during OSD nor start encryption even when the Windows OS is done.

smts logs indicate:

Failed to run the action: Enable BitLocker.

The BIOS did not correctly communicate with the Trusted Platform Module (TPM). Contact the computer manufacturer for BIOS upgrade instructions. (Error: 80310002; Source: Windows)

A BIOS downgrade to 1.12.3 was done in order to be able to Bitlocker encrypt.  But, that defeats the purpose of bringing the BIOS up to speed to address the security concern.   Dell will need to re-look at the BIOS update and provide another.

22 Posts

May 23rd, 2017 09:00

I would like to chime in on this as well. Freshly imaged machines via MDT. E7270 and E7470. Latest BIOS and Driver updates from Dell Command. Once Bitlocker encrypts the drive, it requires the key at boot every time. I have decrypted/re-encrypted the drives with the same result. I have tried suspending bitlocker, reboot (no key required), but on next reboot, key required. In the BIOS, I have TPM 1.2 Turned on. There is a 2nd option for Enabled/Disabled once it's turned on. Neither option seems to make a difference. Any help/advice is appreciated!

No Events found!