Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 2nd, 2014 05:00

Has anyone successfully booted WinPE in UEFI mode on an XPS 13 9333?

I've created a WinPE image for my XPS 13 using the latest Windows ADK but I can't get it to boot in UEFI mode, either from a USB stick or using PXE. However the image boots without any problem if I do a legacy BIOS boot.

If I UEFI boot from a USB stick the machine just hangs at the Dell circle logo. A UEFI PXE boot is more promising as I get my Windows Boot Manager menu and am able to select the desired image. Boot.sdi then loads followed by the WinPE image but again then the machine hangs at the Dell circle logo.

In both cases once the machine has hung only a power off/on will get it running again.

Bizarrely the PXE boot has succeeded twice out of many attempts but the exact same configuration will then fail as above on a subsequent reboot.

The BIOS version is A04, secure boot is off and the legacy option ROM is enabled.

Any pointers to fixing this would be gratefully received!

10 Posts

November 2nd, 2014 16:00

OK I've found a workaround. It looks as if there is a bug somewhere that causes the UEFI WinPE boot to hang as described above if the machine has an active network connection (I have a StarTech USB21000S2 network adapter plugged into the second USB port).

The workaround is to boot WinPE from a USB stick with the network disconnected and then reconnect the network once WinPE has started. The machine then gets an IP address and network connectivity is established.

Can't get the UEFI PXE boot to work but at least I can now boot WinPE from a USB stick and get a network connection from the machine.

Executing the following command:

reg query HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control /v PEFirmwareType

returns 0x2, confirming that WinPE has booted in UEFI mode.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 2nd, 2014 12:00

10 Posts

November 2nd, 2014 16:00

OK I've found a workaround. It looks as if there is a bug somewhere that causes the UEFI WinPE boot to hang as described above if the machine has an active network connection (I have a StarTech USB21000S2 network adapter plugged into the second USB port).

The workaround is to boot WinPE from a USB stick with the network disconnected and then reconnect the network once WinPE has started. The machine then gets an IP address and network connectivity is established.

Can't get the UEFI PXE boot to work but at least I can now boot WinPE from a USB stick and get a network connection from the machine.

Executing the following command:

reg query HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control /v PEFirmwareType

returns 0x2, confirming that WinPE has booted in UEFI mode.

10 Posts

November 3rd, 2014 01:00

Apologies for duplicate posts - Dell forums somewhat flaky.

No Events found!