Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 8th, 2009 15:00

Has anyone taken delivery of the New Studio 1557

Hi, I have ordered 1557 (i7 720QM, 4GB, 320GB 7.2K RPM ...) on 28th Sep, estimated date was 8th Oct, now changed to 15th Oct.

Has anyone received it yet? Let us know your experience.

Thanks

Visu

21 Posts

October 24th, 2009 13:00

I'll be very curious to see if my 1557 comes with Windows 7 installed or Vista. It shipped on the 22nd, and will be here next week. I would think that at the minimum, they could include the Windows 7 CD/DVD with the laptop, even if Vista is installed. We'll see.

I would love to hear more from the people who received their systems.

1 Message

October 25th, 2009 09:00

I received mine on the 23rd and couldn't wait for Dell to get my service tag on there system, so ordered Windows 7 from elsewhere. The installation all went well apart from the Wifi kept dropping it's connection on the provided driver, had to download an updated version from the Intel website. I thought Vista 64bit was fast on this machine but Windows 7 wipes the floor with Vista.

11 Posts

October 26th, 2009 08:00

I've already vented in another forum thread on this, but here are my details.

I ordered a Dell XPS 16 on 9/25/09 with estimated delivery of 10/26/09. (i7 720QM, 4GB, 500GB, etc)

Order Status changed to cancel on 10/22/09 and two new orders appeared.

One order was for my mouse with delivery on 10/30 the other was for the laptop with 11/18/09 delivery.

Just a few days shy of 2 months after I ordered it.  My current order status now shows Order Processing.

1 Message

October 26th, 2009 12:00

I finally got my 1557 last friday.  The 23rd?  Yeah the 23rd.

Anyway it works so far.  Some software and I7 issues but i expected that.  Only real issue yet is the driver for the ,idk what they call it, but my cd wouldnt eject.  Turns out the old driver works????

Point is i got mine.

11 Posts

October 29th, 2009 12:00

I'm curious about the time it took from order date to delivery date for those of you who have received your laptops.

How long did it take?  I'm stuck with a two month delivery time on an XPS 16 assuming they ship it.

21 Posts

October 29th, 2009 13:00

Ordered mine on 9/25, and was given an estimated arrival date of 10/22, which was moved back to 10/29 about 2 weeks later.  It shipped on 10/22, and was in town on the 27th.  I think some people ordered after me but received their laptops before me.  But that may just be because I chose different hardware options than they did. 

My only complaint is that my laptop shipped with Vista on it.  I think that any PCs or laptops that were scheduled for delivery on or after the 22nd (Windows 7 release date) should've at minimum included the Windows 7 update DVD.

21 Posts

October 29th, 2009 18:00

Let's try this again.  My first attempt got unceremoniously deleted because I inadvertently used a naughty word.  Hilarious!  :emotion-42:

My 1557 arrived yesterday. It came with Vista installed, so I had to order the Windows 7 upgrade. It should arrive next week. I will wait until then to properly set up the system. It does have an eSata port on the left-hand side.

First impressions after a couple hours: the fan seems to run a little more than the fan on my old Inspiron E1505 does. But there was probably a lot of "stuff" going on behind the scenes (downloading Windows updates, virus updates, java updates, etc.). The keyboard layout is different than my E1505, so I will have to get used to that. The laptop seems to be cooler to the touch than my E1505 gets. I removed the Vista sticker from the keyboard area, and now I've got leftover stickum I'm trying to get rid of.

Here are the pics I took:

15 Posts

November 4th, 2009 22:00

Great pictures PRT940! Well mine finally came in. Though it has Windows Vista, I have to admit I’m very pleased. I opted for the 1080p screen, SRS sound w/MB, 500GB HDD, Bluetooth, Wireless B, G, N, and blue ray R/ DVD RW, ATI Radeon HD 4570 512mb Dedicated, 4GB DDR3 1333mhz. No Microsoft Products of any kind, and no Virus software since I own those products already. I went all out and got the 3 year Dell Total Protection Plan w/ Lojack. My goodness was that expensive. I hope it ends up being worth it! Windows 7 is on the way now that I’ve registered, but now I’m not in as much of a hurry as before. My sub woofer is working fine and the Intel i7 processor just kills my HP DV4040 laptop in speed and performance.  I’ve been watching other posts for the Studio 1557 and some people are getting run around in circles with the problems they are experiencing. Mainly Sub Woofer issues but it looks like they may have that resolved soon. It’s been great posting here. Maybe we will catch one another on a different post in the future. My Best, AEROCASH.

2 Posts

November 7th, 2009 09:00

Ordered mine on Nov 4 - all the while I was building the order, it said "expected ship date Nov 11" - then when the order was final and placed, that jumped to Nov 27. Hmmm. If I'd known I'd wait about a month (probably more with the holiday in there), I might have ordered differently. I probably would have been happy without the i7 processor, but when I equipped the regular 1555 with everything I wanted, it just wasn't all that much cheaper than the allegedly faster i7. I've been buying computers for enough decades to know that the pricey new "shiniest evar!" processor will be old hat 6 months from now, but I just wanted a FAST laptop.

Win 7, 4GB 1033, 1080p, 320 GB, Bluetooth, Intel b/g/n, 9 cell + 6 cell battery, 2 year "home service" plan.

November 9th, 2009 03:00

me to.... ordered mine(studio 1557)  on 23rd oct... still order status is on first stage only... will it arrive or they will cancel the order... i like this config so much... will it arrive or not???? plsssssss reply..

Thanks

naveen

28 Posts

November 9th, 2009 04:00

Hi Naveen, It took 3 weeks (28 Sep - 21 Oct) for my order.  We heard news that there was some core i7 processor shortages at that time, not sure still they have the same issue.

Would you like to share your configuration and the price details to us?

-visu (UK)

November 9th, 2009 05:00

i didnt even got my estimated delivery date... its says EST DELIVERY DATE: N/A.... i am more worrying about this day by day... i am checking the status daily... but still no change in it... its in first step only(ORDER RECEIVED)... what shall i do with it  :emotion-9:

November 9th, 2009 05:00

sure visu.... This is my config

Studio 1557 Notebook

Intel(R)Core(TM)i7-720QM processor (1.6GHz, 6MB Cache)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Edition (English)
Full HD(1080p)WLED (1920 x 1080)Display with TrueLife

4GB Dual-channel 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (2 x 2GB)

500GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

Slot Load 8X DVD + /-RW Drive with DVD + R double
layer write capability

512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570

Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 (802.11a/g/n) Half Mini-card

-Integrated Stereo Sound with Subwoofer

Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth

-6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

MY PRICING IS 59850 INDIAN RUPEE INCLUDEING TAX AND DELIVERY...

SHALL I KNOW URS VISU???? DID U RECEIVED UR LAP OR NOT... PLS SHARE UR EXPIRIANCE WITH ME...

THANK U

11 Posts

November 10th, 2009 08:00

My XPS 1645 was ordered on 9/25/09 with delivery of 10/26.  That changed to order date of 10/22 with delivery 11/18.  Now it has order date 11/9 with delivery 12/8.

That's 11 weeks people.  Good Luck to all!!!!!

15 Posts

November 10th, 2009 21:00

Dear Buckeye, This subject keeps coming up over and over again, year after year. The more I research and look into forums of dates long ago it seems Dell has trouble launching new products. While there are many who’ve post here on this thread it also seems to be a relatively small percentage of the overall number of orders. I think we got caught in a black hole where very, very large orders of these machines in “basic” and high end configurations were being placed but retail stores. Mine actually came a full week earlier than the original estimated date. I consider myself fortunate and feel horrible that the excitement one gets from buying a new computer is diminished due to order and processing delays. My only offer for comfort is that you WILL get exactly what you “custom” ordered. And sure beats living with what could have gotten stuck with had you gone to a store and paid their markups. I am overall happy with my purchase and think you will be also, (when it finally arrives.)  ,AEROCASH

No Events found!