Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 11th, 2014 10:00

Headphones plugged in but playing through speakers

I have a Dell Inspiron N5050 and for some reason the audio stopped working properly. When I plug in headphones it should only play through headphones but instead it plays through BOTH headphones and speakers. How can I turn off the speaker so it just plays through headphones when headphones are plugged in?

285 Posts

September 11th, 2014 13:00

Some systems have an Audio Control Panel that allows the option of having the speakers on when you plug in headphones, or to not have speakers on. Check the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound to see if you have this and the option. 

For example, I have RealTek audio and in my Realtek HD Audio Manager, I have the option for how I want the headphone jack to operate. 

You say you uninstalled and reinstalled the audio drivers, . Non-Vendor drivers in many cases may not work or work correctly.

install dell recommended drivers only....

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 11th, 2014 14:00

Sorry I made a error in my first set of steps. I had pasted in "Realtek" instead of IDT. You model does not have Realtek audio of course.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

September 11th, 2014 14:00

Hello. There are a few things you can try with the audio driver. These are in no particular order.

> Perform a simple re-installation of your IDT audio driver. If there is a mis-configuration of the driver settings, doing this will correct it.

• Open the Device Manager. (Press the Windows key + the R key, then type devmgmt.msc into the Run box, then click "Okay".  Or you can type devmgmt.msc into the Windows search box.)

• Next, expand "Sound, video & game controllers".

• Right click on Realtek IDT High Definition Audio to open the context menu.

• Click Uninstall.

• Do NOT check the box "Delete the driver software for this device". Leave the box empty.

• Click OK.

• Windows will uninstall the audio driver. When you restart the laptop Windows will re-assemble the driver from the files that you did not delete, but the driver's configuration will be back to its default settings..

> Or download and install a fresh copy of your IDT audio driver from the Inspiron N5050 support page. If the files of your audio driver have become corrupted, doing this will fix it plus correct any misconfiguration as in the step above. Be sure to select your operating system in the menu before downloading the audio driver.

> If the issue still persists after the above steps, switch from the IDT audio driver to the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the search box and hit Enter).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "IDT High Definition Audio Codec".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the IDT driver,  do it again but reverse the names in steps 1 and 6.]

If the issue persists even with the native audio driver then it is probably a hardware failure.

5 Posts

December 16th, 2015 18:00

Struggled with the same problem. Then noticed when I muted the "line-in mic" that the headphones also muted.

Fixed it by disabling the line-in mic.

How to:  right click on the speakers icon (bottom right corner). Select "Recording Devices". Right click "Microphone/Line In" and select "disable". 

April 3rd, 2016 11:00

You saved my sanity. This is the only thing that worked for me!  Thank you! <3 

April 21st, 2016 22:00

i was having the same problem and followed these steps but now speakers are working and sound is not coming from earphones

April 21st, 2016 22:00

i was having the same problem but after following these steps earphones are not working

April 23rd, 2016 05:00

your suggesions sir

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

So right now you have the Windows native audio driver installed but the headphone jack does not work? Try going to the Playback tab of the Sound properties (right click on the speaker icon and select Playback devices), and if Headphones are listed separately from Speakers, make Headphones the default device.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

after following these steps

Hello. Tree different people have posted suggestions in this thread. Which suggestions did you follow?

April 23rd, 2016 11:00

only speaker option is listed in the playback devices, other options are not their.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 24th, 2016 07:00

Sorry but I cannot think of an explanation for why the Windows native driver is not working right. It is usually pretty dependable, except in Windows 10 where it does not always work right with the headphone jack.

No Events found!