Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2017 15:00

Headset Communications While Gaming

Hello, I recently bought the Inspiron 15 i7567. The issue I'm having is that I can't figure out a good way to voice chat while gaming. Before I had used my headset to speak and hear voice chat while my game volume came out of my speakers. Is there now way to do that with this laptop? If so, this is incredibly disappointing for a laptop that is supposedly a "gaming" laptop. 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 14th, 2017 13:00

Are you using something like Teamspeak to control the chat? That is what we use for Star Citizen. What specific headset/mic are you using?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 16th, 2017 04:00

Before

Dell used to put IDT audio in most of its laptops. If you had one of those models, then on the Playback tab of the Sounds properties you would see Speakers and Headphones. If you were to right click on the Headphones, to open the context menu, you could make the headphones the default Communication device.

The result of doing that would be as you described: the headphones would carry the chat audio, and the laptop speakers would continue to play game sounds. In much older Dell laptops with IDT audio, the Communication Headphones were named "Independent (R.T.C.) Headphones".

When IDT went out of the consumer audio business, Dell switched to Realtek.  In most models with Realtek, if you open the Playback tab of the Sounds properties, you only have one listing that combines both speakers and headphones, with no option in the context menu to make the headphones into the communication device.

There might be some other way to do it, but I don't know how.

If you install the Windows native audio driver in place of the Realtek driver, you might get back the option, but it depends on which version of native driver. In this screen shot from a Latitude with Windows 7, "Speakers" is listed twice, with the 2nd one actually being the headphones jack of the dock that the laptop is on.

The problem with using the Windows native driver is that, in most Windows operating systems, the mic jack won't work with it, although Microsoft might have fixed that in Windows 10. I haven't been able to find out for sure.

No Events found!