Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2015 12:00

Heat sink Problem with inspiron 5520 15R

hello , as the title suggests there is a problem with my heat sink it works normally when u start the laptop 
most of dell laptops once starting u would hear the heat sink so im sure its working because it does that the problem is when the windows starts up it doesn't operate its at a complete stop i cleaned i cleaned the vents so im sure its not that but what i have in my mind is the processor paste might be the problem so im wondering if that can cause the heat sink to fully stop operating because the temperature isn't delivered to the temperature sensor ?
im an engineer i know how to tear my laptop apart in case i need to apply that paste just want to make sure before i open it 
thanks in advance :) 

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 22nd, 2015 16:00

Here is a simple troubleshooter on when the notebook might be running too hotly.  It sounds like that you may have already went trough most of these steps but I wanted to touch base on how the system is performing. Is the system showing any signs of overheating.

What is Normal System Heat?

System can become warm to the touch during usage when -

• Using for longer than 10-15 minutes.
  • Watching a DVD/Blu-ray.
  • Streaming online video.
  • Watching or Interacting with Flash Content
  • Playing Video Games or Online Games.
  • Using near a heat source or in a hot environment

What symptoms will I experience if my system is overheating?

• Random Shutdowns
  • System Locking up
  • System Freezing
  • Random Reboots

My question is, are you experiencing, random shutdowns, is the notebook locking up, freezing, or rebooting? If not then you are probably fine and don't need to apply thermal paste.

If you are concerned that the fans aren't running as they should I do suggest running diagnostics and test the fan.  If you don't receive any errors regarding the system overheating or about the fans I wouldn't suggest applying thermal paste.

If you do decide to apply thermal paste, I do suggest that you clean the heat sink and vents of any dust and debris while you have the system open.

TB

May 29th, 2015 02:00

sorry for the late reply
it will random shutdown if i have a game open since the fan doesn't work playing a video or so will make it hot but not hot enough to force shutdown  ... it sometimes does work i mean sometimes on its on it will just run at max speed from full speed ( from full stop i see it as i remove my keyboard sometimes to check it ) 
but now i found something that might be causing it ... as my laptop starts im used to hearing the fan go at 100% once i press the power button that doesnt happen any more so my guess is the fan is working but something is wrong with the intermediate connection between the motor of the fan and the jack on the motherboard

also when i check the diagnostic page i find nothing related to the fan or pc overheating. 
and when running the full diagonstic it shut down at like 80% ... overheated lol 

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 29th, 2015 13:00

Run the Dell PSA tests.  Start the system tapping F12  and choose diagnostics.  These are hardware tests that don't require Windows or the internet to complete.  If there is a problem with the fans you will receive an error about them. Let me know if you have tried these specific tests along with the results.

check the end of my previous comment as i had just edited it 

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

The system shouldn't be shutting down in the middle of running diagnostics.  You can try reseating the fan cables and make sure that they have a good connection with the system board and then test if the problem continues. 

i checked that a couple of hours ago when i was applying new thermal paste but still the problem continues .
im doubting the power jack of either the motherboard or the fan itself is somehow not connected .. 
anyways of checking on the motherboard if it detects the fan ? 
EDIT : i also tried the diagnostic tool ( F12 on boot ) to check for the fan ... once the test was starting it said " intializing fan " , but fan NEVER rotated but took me to the tests  page anyways , my thermosensors read current cpu temperature was 98 degrees ... which is smoking high 

May 30th, 2015 06:00

a quick status update 
so i turned off my laptop went to sleep .. woke up started the laptop and the fan was there working again right at startup ( it does that everytime i start the laptop but used to not do it )  after putting my laptop to heavy duty ( opening a game and running chrome and such ) it stayed working then suddenly stopped and my laptop overheated leading to force shutdown ... when i started the laptop again it didnt start with it this time .. so it seems the fan will work when the fan itself is at cool temperature .. like the rotor of the fan gets to a high temperature for some reason for the following reasons 
my laptop should always start the fan with me pressing the power button .. it only does start the fan when the laptop is starting from a 3 hour rest or something like its been off for 3 hrs so when starting it will start ... as when the laptop is heated it wont start even at bios startup at which it should start regardless of the laptop temperature .. not sure if this might help u get a diagnostic on whats wrong .

5.2K Posts

May 30th, 2015 08:00

Try downloading a utility that will monitor fan speeds. Try Open Hardware Monitor; it's a good one. I suspect the fan is faultyand needs to be replaced.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 1st, 2015 08:00

KirkD,

Thank you for the help.

EssamEID122,

I would prefer that KirkD is correct, and it is only the fan that is at fault and not the system board.  Please let us know what you end up having to do.

TB

No Events found!