Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

October 26th, 2010 12:00

Help! Dell inspiron 1545 corrupted volume disk + trojan????

Hey,

I would really appreciate any help here.

A few weeks ago my laptop started crashing and rebooting regularly. Windows start up repair attempted to fix and said I had a volume disk corruption.

For a while I was able to continue to use my laptop but now it will not go past the dell start up screen. The system attempts to start the windows start up repair however there is a blue screen with an error message reading:

"STOP: c000021a (fatal system error) The session manager failed to create protected prefixes system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000) The system has been shut down"

The computer then restarts and it happens all over again. A friend who is good with computers - I am rubbish! - says that I have 2 issues. 1. System volume is corrupt. 2. I have a trojan horse shown by the 3a error. Is this about right?

My laptop was not supplied with the installations disks - Vista home. If I buy a new hard drive, will I need discs to re install the OS? If so, can I get them from Dell, I bought the laptop in March 2009? I have searched the web and can't seem to get the right info.

Also will a new hard drive fix the trojan issue?

Many thanks for any assistance,

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 26th, 2010 13:00

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 26th, 2010 13:00

Step 1

If you haven't already, run a full (extended) hard drive diagnostic.  F12 at powerup.

Step 2:

Reinstalling Windows (assuming the drive passes):

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=347576

2 Posts

October 26th, 2010 15:00

Thanks,

started diagnostics - almost immediately got alarming yet tuneful bleeping!

Message read:

Error code 0146.

Msg: error code 2000-0146

Msg: hard drive 0 - self test log contains previous error(s)

The given error code and message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the problem, do you wish to continue testing. 

I said "yes", at which point the laptop did a memory test without fault. It then started the extended test, which also went without fault until it began to check the hard drive. It got stuck - as it still is now - at 77% of the overall test and 9% of the hard drive test. The message that came up read:

Error code - 0F00:0232

Mgs: Disk_0 - Block 45595520: Interrupt Request (IRQ) not sent in time, do you wish to continue testing?

I again said "yes", and it's now frozen on the 77% of overall/9% of hard drive screen. Anyone know what to do from here?? 

Thank you again!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 26th, 2010 16:00

You need a new hard drive.  If the system is in warranty, report the error to Dell support and they'll send one.  If the system is out of warranty, you'll need to purchase a new, 2.5" 9.5 mm SATA notebook drive.

If you don't have a copy of Windows, you will also need that to reload everything:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

No Events found!