Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help! My new Dell Studio XPS 13 Laptop keeps on freezing up!

(at least it was SCSI HDD until the engineer replaced it with an inferior SATA drive)

This system never shipped with a SCSI HDD. I have been supporting various lines of Dell hardware for 11 years now, and have never seen a SCSI drive on a consumer system. I have never seen a SCSI drive on any laptop, but if there ever was one, I plead ignorance, but know for 90% certainty that a Dell laptop never  had one.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
fourells5
1 Copper

This system never shipped with a SCSI HDD. I have been supporting various lines of Dell hardware for 11 years now, and have never seen a SCSI drive on a consumer system. I have never seen a SCSI drive on any laptop, but if there ever was one, I plead ignorance, but know for 90% certainty that a Dell laptop never  had one.

My Studio XPS 13 shows a "WDC WD32 BJKT-75F4T  SCSI" as the HDD device name even though the Western Digital site shows it is a SATA drive, so I can see why Jangla thought it was a SCSI drive.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yeah! I've seen that in Device Manager before, too, come to think of it. I blame Microsoft for the confusion. emoticon.BigSmile.title

0 Kudos
fourells5
1 Copper

Hello again to those participating in this topic, I'm just checking in to toss some positive feedback into the pot.

I have been running my Studio XPS 13 with BIOS A06 and Vista Home Premium 32-bit for several weeks now, both plugged in and unplugged, both online and offline, with not a single freeze or other aberrant behavior. My activities include watching DVDs, ripping and burning music from my CDs, messing with the webcam and video chat, and doing some web development work.

For me the problem ceased completely after reinstalling Vista 32-bit over my stock 64-bit from scratch (no reformatting or repartitioning), then doing the BIOS upgrade to A06 from A04.

I really don't know if that did the trick, or if I just happened to get a more cooperative laptop. FWIW...

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
Jangla
2 Bronze

My Studio XPS 13 shows a "WDC WD32 BJKT-75F4T  SCSI" as the HDD device name even though the Western Digital site shows it is a SATA drive, so I can see why Jangla thought it was a SCSI drive.

Mine had SCSI written on the label on the device itself.

I have another question for the masses too - is there any reason why I can't put XP on this thing? Technical support claimed it was impossible - the engineer said there was no reason why I shouldn't be able to. I've tried by just chucking in the boot install disk but it BSOD's about 60 seconds into the install.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder why they did that. You know it's a mistake because the SATA drive and the "SCSI" drive use the same media bay to plug in, and the two connector types are physically different.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote user="fourells5"]My Studio XPS 13 shows a "WDC WD32 BJKT-75F4T  SCSI" as the HDD device name even though the Western Digital site shows it is a SATA drive, so I can see why Jangla thought it was a SCSI drive.

Mine had SCSI written on the label on the device itself.

I have another question for the masses too - is there any reason why I can't put XP on this thing? Technical support claimed it was impossible - the engineer said there was no reason why I shouldn't be able to. I've tried by just chucking in the boot install disk but it BSOD's about 60 seconds into the install.

[/quote]

I have seen a poster on the Dell forums who put XP on his 13 to test a different issue he was having, so I know it's possible. The main problem you will run into is finding XP drivers, as Dell has none posted. The reason for the BSOD (stop code 0x0000008E, if memory serves) is that you are not using the correct SATA driver, if any. If you can find the XP SATA driver for the controller and copy to an external floppy or slipstream it into a new copy of the XP installation disc, you will get past the BSOD. You could also boot to BIOS and change the SATA operation to get around it if you don't slipstream or install the SATA driver from a floppy during setup (the "Strike F6 to install a third party controller" thing). You might also run into problems with Microsoft Activations later if you did not purchase a new OEM or retail copy of XP, as well.

0 Kudos
fourells5
1 Copper

Well, either way it's a speedy HDD for a laptop, I am really loving the loading performance of applications!  Even Firefox loads quickly, now THAT's a welcome change  emoticon.Wink.title

0 Kudos
Jangla
2 Bronze

See, that's what annoys me about the technical support - they clearly have no clue (or they're just being M$'s lapdog). They were absolutely adamant that it was physically impossible. I might try installing the correct SATA drive I reckon...if I can ever get the thing fixed so it will stay stable long enough to install anything. And I've had an MSDN subscription for some time so I've got licensed versions of XP. Having said that, I'm pleasantly surprised at the speed of Vista but I reckon once you pass a certain spec, it can fly but a shade under that spec and it's a dog.

P.S. Anyone notice that SP2 for Vista bugs you about that fact you've turned off the UAC now? An icon in the systray is fine but to post a little dialog everytime you login is just annoying. Bring on v7.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you got MSDN, you can put on the Win7 RC right? If so, I'd either go that route or wait for the release in October or so.

0 Kudos