CassidyAH
1 Nickel

Re: Help! My new Dell Studio XPS 13 Laptop keeps on freezing up!

BillB 

The post that you have about updating the BIOS and the video card drivers has a bad link for the BIOS update.  Can you correct this?  Here is the link to the post I am talking about:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19279904/19503022.aspx#19503022

0 Kudos
CrybKeeper
1 Nickel

First I'll say, what I will write may appear un-related, but it may also help in finding similar configurations that hold some clues.

I have two HP Pavillions-dv6 and dv7, both with Windows Vista 64b Home Premium and they BOTH do EXACTLY the same thing your Dell XPS 13's are doing! I go through all the same steps to no avail, as the laptops will hang up in all the same ways. many lock-ups seem to happen when Vista tries to install critical updates.

Alot of it happens when Graphic intensive games are being played. We have to do the Battery removal thing too, but eventually, the laptops will start locking up again.

We are running ATI Radeon V-cards, so it is not NVidia drivers.

I am beginning to suspect-like a previous poster in this thread- that it has more to do with Vista 64bit OS.

Wonder what would happen, if I just do a full re-install of OS, but this time around, get out my XP CD and use that OS?

I am posting from: Dell 8200/ 2.3P4/ XP/ 1gig Ram/  80gig HDD/ NVidia chipset on an Asylum Ge-Force FX 5600, 256mb.....It runs faster than the brand new laptops!? lol.

0 Kudos
fourells5
1 Copper

Folks -

I've stated it here before. When I installed Vista 32bit and its accompanying 32 bit drivers (I'm still on BIOS A06, btw) my freeze-ups disappeared without a single recurrence. Use my laptop all over the place, on battery power and AC; games, web cam chats, and general web development. No hardware replacements have been done, and I bought mine at Best Buy.

First I'll say, what I will write may appear un-related, but it may also help in finding similar configurations that hold some clues.

I have two HP Pavillions-dv6 and dv7, both with Windows Vista 64b Home Premium and they BOTH do EXACTLY the same thing your Dell XPS 13's are doing! I go through all the same steps to no avail, as the laptops will hang up in all the same ways. many lock-ups seem to happen when Vista tries to install critical updates.

...... I am beginning to suspect-like a previous poster in this thread- that it has more to do with Vista 64bit OS.

Wonder what would happen, if I just do a full re-install of OS, but this time around, get out my XP CD and use that OS?

I am posting from: Dell 8200/ 2.3P4/ XP/ 1gig Ram/  80gig HDD/ NVidia chipset on an Asylum Ge-Force FX 5600, 256mb.....It runs faster than the brand new laptops!? lol.

rlp340
1 Nickel

Folks -

I've stated it here before. When I installed Vista 32bit and its accompanying 32 bit drivers (I'm still on BIOS A06, btw) my freeze-ups disappeared without a single recurrence. Use my laptop all over the place, on battery power and AC; games, web cam chats, and general web development. No hardware replacements have been done, and I bought mine at Best Buy.

This has been confirmed on another forum that I'm watching where people are reporting issues. It seems that it is most likey the 64bit version of Vista. I'm hoping that Windows 7 will be supported on this laptop and not have any issues.

I still have hang up's (currently running A07) but there infrequent and never seem to follow a pattern. Typically once every three to five days now.

Dell owner for about 7 years.

PC: Dell 8400 / Laptop: Studio XPS 1340

noelatwork
1 Copper

I cannot completely agree with you on that. This is because my laptop is running on 32-bit OS and A07 BIOS. (The laptop came with A07 BIOS.) Still it hung twice in last 1 month.

Though my porblem is not as severe as what people in here are describing, I have a bad feeling that I went for M1340. 😞 I bought my laptop on 6th June 2009.

Cheers

NoeL

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
lastguyonearth
1 Copper

I am running 64 bit vista ultimate on my sxps 13 and after installing the integrated camera drivers, i have had NO problems. I am running a07. I think there just might be some drivers a few of you haven't installed. I dont really see how this many people could be having hardware issues.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am running 64 bit vista ultimate on my sxps 13 and after installing the integrated camera drivers, i have had NO problems. I am running a07. I think there just might be some drivers a few of you haven't installed. I dont really see how this many people could be having hardware issues.

Yes, apologies to all. I overlooked posting this earlier, but if you are having lockups, update your webcam driver. We also have an issue with audio latency with the 13 on a different thread. I think I got my issues and which I posted to mixed up. So sorry.

0 Kudos
1 Nickel

Yes, apologies to all. I overlooked posting this earlier, but if you are having lockups, update your webcam driver.

Just FYI, I had already updated and also disabled my webcam entirely and the freezing still was occuring.  I can't say that it was any less frequent either.  Still working on updating everything... and I am also hoping that a switch to Windows7 will fix these problems.  It would be nice if Dell could get someone to fix these issues or at least give us a copy of Windows7 (discount... something?!) since we all paid for Vista and it doesn't work correctly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CrybKeeper
1 Nickel

Thanks for being here for us Bill.

After reading all these laptop issues, I began searching through forums at all the major PC manufacturers and it appears that laptops in general are just total crud.

I really would rather purchase desktops, but these days, retailers aren't carrying desktops anymore. Just the laptops, which none seem to be worth the $2000.00USD I have already invested.

Answers seem to range across all possible issues for these hang ups and I personally, believe the issue is laptops in general, which cannot seem to handle the power we are cramming into them. Then there is this deal about driver this, patch something here and upgrade that, to the point it becomes a murky ocean of garbage, that everyone keeps writing back, they never wanted.

Seems PS3's and XBox360's also crash and burn within a year and the companies responsible do not really give a hoot.

Isn't it silly, that these PC makers keep adding doo-dads, utilities and apps, that they think wil improve our PC experiences, only to find out they are actually ruining it?

The best of times on any PC,

Dell8200 and Windows XP.

Set it up custom, gaining plenty more speed,

Brand new OS's were never a need.

Give me the old days, when things stayed the same,

Not todays techies, staying ahead of the game.

They advance it so quickly, it muddles the brain,

While forgetting to BETA test in the slow lane.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
willwac
1 Copper

Yes it is true that laptops generally fare worse than desktops, which is why if you want to go for an expensive portable option then you should get some kind of comprehensive warranty.

I believe the reason for the problems with this laptop can be narrowed down since:

- the laptop freezes not just when normal programs are running but when they're not - I remember it once froze while vista was doing an update after the logging off bit. I think this safely rules out my own software.

- the laptop works in safe mode. this indicates to me it's either a video card issue (as stuff like DirectX doesn't work in safe mode), or an audio issue (audio is completely disabled in safe mode), or to do with something else that doesn't run in safe mode like the webcam.

And I don't know if it helps the people (if there are any) who are working on this problem but when it freezes in NVIDIA's 'save-power' mode it has the black screen with a bit of my 'normal' screen (static) at the top with colourful horizontal lines 3/4 of the way up, and in the 'boost performance' mode it freezes so the screen is static with all of the 'normal' screen showing (i.e. without the black & colourful lines). I know this is a really bad explanation but I can't think of the right words right now.

I've updated every possible thing I can (including, but certainly not limited to: the webcam, audio and video drivers) - and it now has Vista SP2 (I had to run it in normal mode for a while to get the update installed and it crashed in the same way after the update, after 14 minutes). It would be nice to hear from one of the many people whom have reported such crashes about whether safe mode works for them so that I know my issue isn't actually an unrelated one.

0 Kudos