Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2016 17:00

Help on reestablishing file history

Recently my external hard drive failed and I have replaced it.  When I tried to set up my file history I am having trouble.  Under control panel file history is listed on G drive, but my new external hard drive is F.  I put it in the same slot as the old drive and now am trying to change the drive but it isn't working.

Help!  I must be doing something wrong, but cannot figure it out.

9.4K Posts

October 26th, 2016 04:00

In order for the responders to better assist, please post your computer model and Operating system.  Thanks.

October 26th, 2016 10:00

My computer is a Inspiron All in One 2330.  The operating system is Windows 10

9.4K Posts

October 31st, 2016 10:00

Changing The Drive Letter in Window 10:

Select Disk Management from Win + x Power Menu .

Right click on the hard drive and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.. from the context menu.

Click on the Change button.

Select a new drive letter and press Ok to continue.

Select Yes button again to confirm.

November 1st, 2016 17:00

Thanks for trying to help me.  I tried your steps before I wrote in to the community.  It didn't work, so I added my old E external drive and the new F external drive and tried the procedure again, adding file history to the new F drive.  OOPs. that didn't work and now my PC won't recognize either of my external hard drives even when I try to add the device.  This is so challenging for me.  I cannot figure out the problem.  I did see File history got added to the F drive which is now labeled E but I cannot view any of the files.  So I am in deep trouble here.

9.4K Posts

November 3rd, 2016 05:00

Perhaps the Operating System has become corrupted.  Have you tried reinstalling the OS?

November 16th, 2016 15:00

Thank you so much for trying to help me.  I think one of my USB ports has gone bad because I was able to try you original advice and then switch the port for the external drive and now it works.  Thank you so much.  

No Events found!