Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2009 10:00

Help with install issues for a inspiron 1720

Hello I am having real troubles with my mothers laptop.  About a week ago she came to me with her dell laptop that she purchased a year ago at some bargain club. It would not boot windows at all. I tried everything I could diagnostic wise only to find out that her hard drive had become corrupted and basically was gone.  Not wanting to panic or worry her I figured I could order a new hard drive for her laptop (since its currently not under warrenty). Do a new install of windows vista with the discs that came with her system and all would be alright.

:( unfortunately this has not been the case. Ive gotten the system to recognize the new hard drive, I even got vista to start the install. But it has yet to this date completed a full install. It gets stuck at points and crashes. The furthest ive gotten it is where it stays at a blank black screen for a few hours before I gave up and shut the laptop off.  My mom would really like to keep this system and we cannot afford to buy her a brand new one.  We wanted to know is there a way to get vista uploaded or would it just be better to go threw the techs support for unwarrenty systems and pay to get it put onto her system again. Were really desperate for her to have her computer back at her age its one of the few things she still enjoys.

Thank you ahead of time for any help or advice and If I need to give more detail please let me know.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 5th, 2009 11:00

Two things come to  mind:

The install DVD may be damaged, or the CD/DVD drive may be faulty.

There are other possibilities as well - did you run a full Dell diagnostic before you condemned the hard drive?

July 5th, 2009 12:00

Yes I did and it confirmed that the drive could no longer be found. The cd/dvd drive issue is interesting to because that could be a problem as well. Im thinking we may have to ship it to dell eat the costs and let their experts repair it. Would have like to get the os loaded myself but I just dont see how I can do it and dont want to further damage her system.

5 Posts

July 5th, 2009 13:00

Having trouble myself deciding about a clean install ,my 1720  has Dell Media Direct which causes a problem when installing new OS ,I'm a newbie and  just learning about these things, but from what I have read you must have  the Dell Media Direct Disc to format the drive correctly to do the install!I don't know why Dell would make reinstalling so tough with a hidden partition for  Media Center(and the home button that could really confuse and mess up drive if Media Direct is not installed properly) when Vista already has  one?

2 Posts

September 26th, 2009 15:00

i dont know if this well help, but i wrote down each step the tech told me to do onmy dell inspirion 1720, my computer had bad drivers, so dell had to replace them.  but when i got it back it still did not work, and this is what he had me do.. hope this helps.

jenny

DIRECTIONS FOR INSPIRION 1720 / 1721

TAKE OUT BATTERY AND UNPLUG POWER CORD.
NOW PUSH START BUTTON FOR 30 SECONDS.
NOW PUT POWER CORD BACK IN AND PLUG INTO WALL.
NOW PUSH AND HOLD F8 KEY WHILE TURING ON THE COMPUTER AT THE SAME TIME.
NOW GO INTO SAFEMODE NETWORKING.

TURN COMPUTER OFF AGAIN.
NOW PUSH AND HOLD Fn KEY DOWN FOR 10 SECONDS AND RELEASE.
NOW PUSH AND HOLD Fn KEY DOWN WHILE TURNING ON COMPUTER AND RELEASE AT THE SAME TIME .

NOW WHEN YOU SAME THE RAINBOW COLORS IMMEDIATELY PUSH THE LETTER Y AND RELEASE

NOW IN ORDER INSERT VISTA CD THAN TURN OFF THE COMPUTER.
  TURN ON TILL BLUE DELL NAME COMES ON  AND PUSH F12 FOUR TIMES SLOWLY.
CD/DVD (HIGHLIGHT) PUSH ENTER WAIT TILL MESSAGE THAN PUSH SPACE BAR ONE TIME.
  REPEAT ABOVE FOR EACH DISC, MUST BE IN THE ORDER LISTED BELOW

INSERT MEDIA DIRECT     1,Y
  PARTION 2
  LOAD DRIVERS

REINSTALL DVD 32 BIT
  PARTION 2

PUT VISTA CD BACK IN
  PARTION 2
No Events found!