Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

July 4th, 2010 13:00

Hibernate Cycles back on

My D820 has this new issue.  When I shut down to hibernate or press the Fn-F1 key the computer will display the going to Hibernate screen temporarily but then flash back to the full on desktop display.   I have looked at running tasks, process, and services and cannot find anything strange there that would seem to keep the computer from wanting to go to hibernate. 

I disabled and then re-enabled hibernate mode....still no fix

I defragged the HD, that did not fail. 

I booted to setup and checked setup items that might sound like they would be interfering, such as wake on lan or something of that sort.  I could not find anything there.  I must also say that I have not made any changes to setup in over a year; so I cannot imagine anything there having this effect.  I  have, of course, added software over the past few months, but I can't think of anything here having the effect.

BTW...Standby seems to work.  But what I don't now yet is if I leave the computer idle in standby for a length of time, if it will process on to off.

Anyone with ideas of what to check.....BTW I'm using XP pro, SP3.

50 Posts

July 5th, 2010 17:00

Solved the issue.  It was some kind of malware.   Tough to get rid of.  

I noticed that the svchost that loads most of the services for network and internet  was running crazy.   Sometimes the memory used would go up to 150K with 20% of the CPU used.   I checked it using Systernal's Process Explorer and noticed how ( in the TCPIP tab) that my comp was make a lot of internet connections to somewhere.

I had scanned with ESET nothing there.  Malware Anti Bytes didn; help.   I ran HijackThis and surveyed the log, but couldn't  find anything interesting to delete.   Finally I browsed around to GeeksToGo   http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38 .  A little reading and I decided to download and run ComboFix.exe.   That seemed to really work.    

I just deleted ESET AV and went to Microsoft Essentials (Recommended by GeeksToGo).  

Happy Now :emotion-1:

No Events found!