Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

14 Posts

February 6th, 2008 05:00

Hiss / noise when using headphones with Vostro 1000 Laptop

I hear a hiss when my headphones are plugged in. The hiss has the same pattern as the sound a processor makes when its 'busy'. The hiss goes away when: I unplug the AC plug, or when I hit the mute button while it's plugged in. I tried updating the drivers to fix it and that doesn't work.

IS there a fix for this?

Message Edited by mikeg19_82 on 02-06-2008 01:37 AM

14 Posts

February 10th, 2008 20:00

I contacted Dell customer support about this and they want to replace my motherboard. But if the problem is in the motherboard design, what good is that going to do? Wouldn't Dell be better off sending me a soundcard for my ExpressCard?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 11th, 2008 01:00

Our moderator Chris B wrote:
"Recent users have confirmed that a motherboard replacement will fix the headphone issue on the 1500/1520 systems."

So it is possible that the motherboard problem has also been fixed in the v1000 and that is why Support is offering to replace yours. Of course it is also possible that they haven't done anything to the Vostro MB's and are just hoping a replacement will fix it anyway.

In either case it is always best to do it their way first, because if you don't you can't move on to the next step, be it escalation or whatever.

Jim

14 Posts

February 11th, 2008 14:00

What's escalation?

I can't go without my laptop because I use it everyday for work. I've already had to replace the computer because the old one's motherboard crashed. It's just odd how Dell would rather waste their time and money with replacing the motherboard, instead of just sending me a expresscard soundcard. I'd think just for the cost difference alone they'd want to do it this way.

That was the first and last time I'd ever buy a Dell. Forget this. I've had nothing but problems with this thing. And to just rub it in, they'll always write how much they apologize for any inconvenience, yet to inconvenience me even further, they need me to send my computer in for a MB replacement, which will take who knows how many weeks, because the sound hisses.

14 Posts

February 11th, 2008 16:00

Thanks jimco. Dell needs guys like you working for them. The latest email I just got, from good old Alejandro S, tells me if I want my computer fixed faster, I should call customer service and order the onsite warranty service! :manmad:

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 11th, 2008 16:00

Escalation is when regular tech support has failed to solve your problem, then you can request that it be bumped up to the next level, but if your refuse tech support's offer to repair your computer I doubt that you can escalate.

Unresolved issues

I'm sympathetic and understand why you don't want to deal with Dell anymore, but if a new motherboard is in fact the solution then from Dell's point of view your refusal is the reason the issue is unresolved and there is nothing they can do about that. I doubt that there is any possibility at all that Dell will send you an external sound card before you allow this to reach the unresolved issue stage.

Good luck. Maybe they will let you escalate.

Jim

1.1K Posts

February 12th, 2008 12:00

mikeg19_82:

Thanks for visiting the Dell Community Forums.

Just to clarify, the reason the Dell technician suggested that you upgrade your service contract for quicker service is due to the fact the system was purchased with a "Return to Depot" service contract. A "Return to Depot" service contract requires you to send the system to Dell for repair.

An Onsite Next Business Day service contract, in most cases, would allow the repair to be completed the following business day. Which is an upgrade you may want to consider if you are not in a position to be without your computer for any period of time.

I hope this helps.

February 12th, 2008 16:00

My Vostro 1500 has the same noise in the headphone jack.  It seems to vary in accord with harddrive activity.

This seems to be electrical interference.

Onsite support replaced the motherboard, and the hiss is still there. 
Now tech support wants to try replacing the hard drive.  We'll see if that works, (which i doubt.)

14 Posts

February 12th, 2008 21:00

What do you have to say about that Chris? He got his motherboard replaced and still has a hiss. Wouldn't it be just smarter to send me an expresscard soundcard? Doesn't Dell test hardware compatibility before mass-producing their computer systems?

1.1K Posts

February 13th, 2008 11:00

mikeg19_82:

Your issue can be resolved. With the service contract that you choose and purchased, we can have your system shipped to Dell for repair. That said, it is not policy to provide workarounds for any hardware issue by providing additional upgraded hardware to our customers, but rather policy to fix any issue in place as per the terms and conditions of the service contract purchased.

As far as why MathewSchreiber is still having issues, I'm not sure. There may have been a problem with the motherboard, or perhaps he is experiencing a seperate issue with his computer. Either way, technical support needs to be engaged so that they can be made aware the issue is ongoing.

Also, let me clarify. The issue customers were having with our 1500 line, are not related to any issues on our 1000 laptops.

Dell has offered to repair your system several times according to the notes logged under your account. Every day that you delay sending the system in for repair, is another day that you will have to experience this issue.

1.1K Posts

February 13th, 2008 15:00

mikeg19_82:

Thanks for the update. If you continue to have problems after the system is serviced, send me a Private Message and I will see what I can do on the back-end.

14 Posts

February 13th, 2008 15:00

Well Dell is going to send a replacement AC adapter, because it only hisses when that's plugged in. If that doesn't work, I'm going to send it in when I am able to have a couple weeks to be without my computer. I'll update this post when I get it back and it still hisses.

1.1K Posts

February 13th, 2008 18:00

MathewSchreiber:

You state the following: "Your liaison role seems rather one-sided." How so?

February 13th, 2008 18:00

Hey Chris-

I've spoken with about 6 gold support techs, and none of them have ever heard of my interference issue. It seems that quite a few folks have this issue, and some of them have has success with a new mother board.

It's frustrating that they don't already have info on a "known issue".  It really slows down the proccess of getting the issue resolved.

Your liaison role seems rather one-sided.

February 13th, 2008 19:00

In this case, I'm not seeing any flow of info to tech support.  They seems out of touch with what Dell's customers are experiencing, and which measures are resolving their issues.

Call me an optomist, but it seems reasonable that support techs would have info about what is actually working.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 14th, 2008 02:00

Mathew,

I've seen this phenomenon for years, where customers would get the feeling from tech support that their audio problem had never been heard of, then they come here and learn that their problem is well known and the solution is common knowledge. I too think it odd that the knowledge doesn't flow. I have formed a fairly low opinion of tech support solely because of this, and it may be unfair, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect that support would be at least as good as a bunch of amatuer volunteers.

It does seem to be getting better than it used to be. Lately I've seen 'Dell' solutions that look suspiciously like solutions that first appeared on this board.

Jim
No Events found!