Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2009 19:00

How I fix my media panel buttons ( Studio 1537 experience sharing)

If you're reading this thread, I am sure you've experienced the same frustration like lots of folks here.  The unexpected volume up?  The repeated eject of an already empty DVD drive?  Yes, you are one of us!

My Studio 1537 start to has those thing in the first 24 hours of using it.  Then I do some search online and found this forum.  It's an amazing reading experience to me, so many different theories been proposed, what's more shocking is, no official response what so ever!?

Finally, after 30 minutes of carefully check into the famous media panel module, here is my assumption and proposed solution to it.

Assumed cause of this annoying problem is insufficient compartment underneath the media panel, the mini cable been taped right under the volume up and eject buttons.  After the panel been plug into its rightful postion, there are two screws (inside battery bay) been applied to secure the panel.  These two screws can easily add more pressure (and randomly trigger it) to the buttons when it's tightly bolted.  That's why most of us are experiencing problems with the volume up and eject buttons, because it's right next to the screw.  And the reason why another screw didn't cause any trouble?  There is no mini cable and tape there.

The suggested solutions,

1. Quick and dirty way

Shut down the computer, unplug the AC power, remove the battery, then press the power button for over 30 seconds.  This will drain the residual electricity inside capacitors.  Find a right size philip screwdriver to unscrew those 2 screws inside the battery bay.  When you take those 2 screws off, put it back and slowly screw it in, stop when you feel it's there, then unscrew quarter to half cycle.  By doing this, the tension and pressure on those media panel buttons should be reduced.

2. The whole nine yard way (when Quick and Dirty way doesn't work)

Shut down the computer, unplug the AC power, remove the battery, then press the power button for over 30 seconds.  Find a right size philip screwdriver to unscrew those 2 screws inside the battery bay.  Carefully pry up the panel, don't use any tools, just finger nails and little by little force.

There is a white color mini cable attached to the panel, don't break it!  It uses double sided tape attach to the panel.  Use your nails to remove it and parallelly re-position it right next to the screw hole, make sure not to be on top the tiny buttons (buttons are enclosed with black rubber, you can see the bulges).

Put the panel back, by reverse the sequence you pry it out and bolt on those 2 screws.  Slowly screw it in, stop when you feel it's there, then unscrew quarter to half cycle.

Now, just like deliver your own child, you should be a happy notebook owner again!

P.S. above images are linked from a Dell webpage <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

13 Posts

April 26th, 2010 15:00

I've had my 1537  for  a year or so,  I had the problem with the buttons but after I downloaded a firm ware update I have never had the problem again..  Un fortunately I don't remember where I got the download but it was from reading the old forum at Dell..

Why Dell never put this out for GP I do not know....

13 Posts

April 26th, 2010 15:00

p.s.   Yes there is good info in these forums but the format of dells forum's is a joke.  Why must they go to such length to be so different , most forums are a breeze to navigate, so some dell geek thinks this format is great, yeah right.... 

21 Posts

August 20th, 2010 20:00

I had this issue, then I replaced the keyboard because of an issue with Num Lock. I received a Media Panel with it, though I didn't need one, but I installed it anyway. My problem was most likely due to the cable not being installed properly. Check to make sure the ribbon is installed all the way and is straight.

1 Message

June 28th, 2011 10:00

Worked like a Charm! ^_^

No Events found!