Highlighted

How can I access the CPU Multiplier for the Intel Core 2 Extreme x9000

Jump to solution

I had purchased a Dell Precision M6300 that has a Intel Core 2 Extreme. Now from what I read from there page about this system, it can run CAD and other graphic programs. Well, when I had got it form the person it had Linux Ubuntu on it. It ran fine until I wiped the drive and installed my iso of  Windows 7. It was REALLY SLOW. To the point I could not watch videos with VLC and it took forever to load Firefox.

I opened the task manager and it was running at 0.59GHz! This CPU should be at around 2.5GHz. So I disabled the bios options for Speed Step and it went up to 0.89GHz and no higher.

About a week has passed and I now have Windows 10 and it runs nice but still at 0.89GHz. I had done more searching and found ThrottleStop. Well now I'm running at 2.5GHz, but I need to run that program to have the CPU to be at where I want it.

TL;DR Is there an update for me to be able to access the CPU Multiplier in the BIOS? It's at Revision A15. I have another Dell which is a XPS M1730 and it has a setting in the BIOS for it.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ejn63
Diamond

RE: How can I access the CPU Multiplier for the Intel Core 2 Extreme x9000

Jump to solution

There is no BIOS level control over the CPU multiplier - it's auto-set by the system board.

Is the AC adapter recognized (F2 at powerup to check)?  If not, the system will run as if on battery all the time.

Similarly, disabling SpeedStep will force the system to run at low speed all the time - you want that setting to be enabled.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

It is recognized. It's the original 130W Power Supply. 

But when I enable SpeedStep, it forces the system to stay at it's current state at 0.59GHz. I have ran multiple programs to see if it would raise it and it did not. It just stayed there at the 0.59GHz.

0 Kudos
uwebb2
Copper

Jump to solution

If you are forced to use ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT to run at full speed, that is a sign that a sensor on your motherboard has gone bad.  Varioius sensors on the motherboard can send a signal to the CPU and force it to run at the lowest speed.  Disabling BD PROCHOT interrupts these signals so they do not get to the processor so it can run at its rated speed.

ThrottleStop allows you to get the most out of an Extreme CPU so I would recommend that you keep using it.  Not much point in replacing the motherboard if a simple, free solution solves your problem.

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

Jump to solution

What does the system BIOS report for the CPU type and speed? F2 at powerup to check.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/55c7cb6f42b9fbb921ed50e06169460c.jpg

Before it would be at 900 MHz for the current clock speed. I don't know why it changed.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Ok.... I know this is considered bumping but I have more information and questions.

I'm still having problems with the CPU being underclocked and having to use ThrottleStop to both disable BD PROCHOT and have it at a 15 Multiplier for the CPU Speed for my computer to be usable without lag. And my question is is there some sort of permanent fix that I can do for me not needing to use the ThrottleStop program? I've tried to downgrade the BIOS to either A13 or A14 to see if that were to work but it ends up in a error. Most likely not the best route to do so but if it would of worked.....

And yes, it's an unlocked processor and can be overclocked to an 18.5 multiplier for a  3.4GHz if I'm not mistaken.

0 Kudos
uwebb2
Copper

Jump to solution

You have 2 options:

a) run ThrottleStop all of the time which costs nothing or

b) replace the motherboard and power adapter which is not worth the time or trouble or cost of repair.

The default maximum speed for an X9000 is 2.8 GHz.  Yes it is an unlocked processor but not all motherboards include this feature in the bios.  Some laptops allow increasing the multiplier one or two notches while other motherboards do not allow any overclocking at all in the bios.  That is a manufacturer's choice.  If your laptop is still usable almost 9 years after the X9000 was launched, there should be nothing to complain about.

BTW, the Windows Task Manager is not 100% accurate when reporting the core speed of these unlocked processors and it is not 100% accurate when reporting the CPU Utilization so best to ignore that data.  ThrottleStop is correctly reporting your CPU at 2992 MHz.  Be happy that there is a free solution available that can totally solve this problem for you.