e5440
2 Bronze

How can I access the MEBx BIOS settings on a Dell Latitude E5440 laptop?

Hello,

I can't seem to be able to configure MEBx (Intel AMT / vPro) on my E5440 no matter what I do. I know that a configuration menu is supposed to pop up when I press Ctrl-P at boot time, but that only triggers a suggestion to press F12 at the upper-right corner of the screen. Pressing F12 does present me with the option to enter BIOS setup, however the only options related to MEBx are "enable MEBx hotkey" in the POST section (which is on), and some other setting about allowing hotkeys generally, which is also on. And yet I can't seem to be able to configure MEBx at all.

Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
9 Rhodium

RE: How can I access the MEBx BIOS settings on a Dell Latitude E5440 laptop?

Before going further, you may want to run the Intel utility below, which will tell you whether you have vPro or not.

<<communities.intel.com/docs/DOC-2061>>

In general the AMT/vPro feature is optional when Latitudes are ordered by large corporations/large academic/government accounts.  It's not standard on all Latitudes (and if yours doesn't have vPro, it cannot be added).

If your system DOES pass the Intel vPro detect, check the BIOS setup to make sure the hotkey that toggles vPro is enabled.

0 Kudos
e5440
2 Bronze

The diagnostic tool dumped this in my registry, so I think AMT should be available, but it's possible that I've misread the Intel document.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\INTEL\iAMT SCAN DATA]
"AMTSetupStatus"="Not started"
"AMTVersion"="9.5.14"
"AssetTag"=""
"BIOSVersion"="A06"
"ChassisType"="Laptop"
"FQDN"="some_fqdn"
"HECIVersion"="9.5.15.1730"
"LMSVersion"="9.5.10.1628"
"Make"="Dell Inc."
"Model"="Latitude E5440"
"ProvisionServerPing"="Fail"
"SerialNumber"="some_serial_number"
"SMSSiteCode"="NOT INSTALLED"
"SystemName"="some_system_name"
"UNSVersion"="Error: UNS Information Unavailable"
"UUID"="some_uuid"

0 Kudos
e5440
2 Bronze

The MEBx hotkey _is_ enabled in the BIOS (as noted before). One interesting thing is that the AMT tool reports BIOS A06, but the laptop runs the latest BIOS A12 - but I guess the AMT is on a separate chip with it's own BIOS?

0 Kudos
e5440
2 Bronze

Also, Arch Linux loads the mei_me module which would imply that ATM support does exist in some shape or form:

$ lsmod | grep mei_me

mei_me 20480 0

mei 77824 1 mei_me

It's just that I don't seem to be able (or am allowed) to configure it.

0 Kudos