Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2017 12:00

How can I buy a SATA cable for an Inspiron 15 7560?

I want to fit a second drive in the 2.5" caddy on the new Dell Inspiron 7560, but it needs an interposer cable.  The part number is NH9YV (confirmed to me by Dell technical support on the phone) but I cannot find anyone who can sell me one.  It is referred to in another post on this forum which seems to have gone dead.  Can anyone help me to find one?  It is the item shown in Step 3 in the Service Manual: procedure to remove Hard Drive.  Thanks.  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 12th, 2017 13:00

The only place you'll find a part like that on a system that new is to call Dell Spare Parts.  Note:  you MUST call - they do not sell parts such as this online.

1-800-999-3355.

Mon–Sun 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. CST.

If you're outside the US, call your local Dell sales number and ask for "spare parts".

January 12th, 2017 14:00

Thanks.  I did try that (the UK version).  DELL put me through to a third party parts provider who can't get the part.  Grr.  

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 13th, 2017 07:00

The Dell parts page confirms that we do not have any to sell. You will have to search on eBay for a seller that has broken down a 7560 for parts.

January 13th, 2017 09:00

Alternatively is it compatible with the cable for the Inspiron 15 3552? The part looks very similar. Thanks!

January 13th, 2017 09:00

Thank you. I can't find them on ebay, although curiously only 2 weeks ago people in UK were able to buy them both from DELL and on ebay.  Do you know whether it is available from DELL in Europe (I'm in UK)? Failing that, could you tell me whether the cable connector is the same as for a DELL Inspiron 15 5447 (which I can source on ebay)?  I know the cable itself is different (cord instead of ribbon) but if the non-SATA connector is the same then I could probably make it fit. Many thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 15th, 2017 12:00

We are not sure if other system model HDD cables are compatible.

The parts page for NH9YV HDD cable shows Inspiron 7460/7560.

Inspiron 1420/5442/5443/5445/5447/5448/5457
RHCJP HDD cable

Inspiron 3451/3452/3458/3459/3552
HDD cable 6JNV5
(no picture)

Inspiron 3459/3551/3552
HDD cable 7XR34
(no picture)

January 15th, 2017 22:00

Thanks for taking the trouble to look, Chris. How frustrating. Do the parts normally become available after a while?

Someone must know the specifications of the connector on the motherboard, or perhaps they are on a 'need to know basis?  Is it not a standard connector? I'm trying to source a third party HDD but I guess no-one has the specifications.

8 Posts

January 20th, 2017 15:00

Hi, any luck in finding the cable? I have the same problem. Do tell em as well if you find one. I am also searching and will tell you if find. do write me at

8 Posts

January 21st, 2017 13:00

Any luck? please update as I have same problem

January 21st, 2017 14:00

Not yet.  I phoned Dell UK and asked for their parts department; they said they would call me back and   never did.  Bizarrely, a couple of weeks ago someone was complaining about the price of the part (from Dell, in £ sterling) and someone else said that they had had the same quote from Dell but instead had found the part on ebay for half the price (also in £ sterling).  I've ordered a part from a Dell 5547 which looks similar and I'm waiting for it to be delivered (from China).  Really frustrating,  Why don't DELL have an online parts ordering service?  I've wasted loads of my time and theirs on the phone over the last couple of weeks.

8 Posts

January 24th, 2017 09:00

I have some news

January 24th, 2017 10:00

Thank you!  When I contacted the parts department, they promised to call or email me back and never did. Someone on another thread bought one on eBay for £14.99 for a Dell 3552 which also fits.

2 Posts

February 1st, 2017 12:00

For anyone else pulling their hair out with the poor Dell support and sales reps/process, this is what I have found --- hopefully useful for others interested in buying a Interposer cable NH9YV for Inspiron 7560.

I've had numerous calls with Dell and their official tech team confirm the part number is NH9YV.

The first quote was £33.37   January 6 2017

The second quote was £12.00 including V.A.T and delivery   January 31 2017

The reason I did not pay £33.37 for the cable, apart from being extortionate, is because I saw this thread which led me to question Dell Tech Guys on the price @ UKI_PON_Services6@dell.com.  My numerous emails for clarification led to no response from them.  (IMHO I think the tech guys work on commission and therefore not interested if they do not bag higher value custom - I have no proof, but am suspicious based upon some of their activity with me)

I jumped on the second quote only for the Dell tech agent to tell me it won't be in stock in Dell until July 2017.  Mind boggles.

The numbers I tried were 08000282660  and @dellcares gave me 0800 085 4878.  BTW they seem to not care now!    twitter.com/.../826562945698189312

Anyway, after punching through the caverns of Dells automated telephony, I eventually stumbled upon a Dell guy who apparently sits on the Sales department reception desk!  After telling him what I wanted, he passed me to an external company.  mmmh?!   (I've also been transferred to Mars and back)

In the first instance, I had a very brief chat with an "Adam" in this external company, and apologised profusely for laughing down the phone at him and explained what I had been through with Dell. I declined his help at this stage as I didn't believe it was correct.

But, after running around Dell's telephony rabbit hole for the nth time I came across the Dell guy again on the Sales department reception desk.  I told him what I wanted and I ended up with "Adam" again in the external company.

This time I spoke to "Adamr" and he asked me to send him an email with my request.  He graciously gave me his email, and I sent him an email (1 feb 2017).  "Adamr" reckons it might cost £20 plus VAT.  I still need to receive his response.

I don't think Adam would appreciate me posting his email address, but the company is upgrade.co.uk (by the look of things).  I'm not too sure what their relationship is with Dell or what their business model is.  So I suggest you try to get to the Dell Sales Department Reception Desk and state you want the HDD interposer cable and with luck, you'll end up being transferred to Adam.

I'll post my findings if I ever succeed in getting this blasted cable (which in essence should have been supplied out of the box with the laptop - the HDD space is there begging to be filled and used - that's why we all bought this laptop, right?  )

Hope this lovely story helps you all.

February 2nd, 2017 08:00

I have a better answer, after going through 2 weeks of the same frustration. Including the upgrade.co people who listened carefully (twice), promised to research further and get back to me. They never did.

In the end I bought a cable from ebay for a Dell 3552 which fits perfectly. I also ordered one (from China) for a DELL 5447 which looks right  but hasn't yet arrived (which is why I bought the other one).  I can pass it on if it is suitable.

PS I now have another problem (compatibility with a drive built with legacy BIOS not UEFI) but hopefully that wont affect you.

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2017 11:00

Hi 4ellboy

Thanks for the tip - i'll have a google for the 3552 cable.

Adam from upgrade.co.uk has confirmed he can supply the NH9YV for £20 + £10 delivery + VAT.  2-3 week ETA.

Good luck with the drive.

No Events found!