Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

May 8th, 2011 17:00

How do I clone display on XPS L502X - connected to TV by HDMI

I have connected my XPS L502X laptop to my Samsung lcd tv using an hdmi cable.

I do not have clone display as an option. I can only extend the display. My guess is that this has to do with the tv display being run from the nvidia graphics card and the laptop display being run from the integrated graphics. 

I am running Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    6.00 GB

I have updated to the latest bios and the latest drivers for the integrated and the nvidia graphics.

Is there anything I can do to see the same display on my laptop and my tv?

Thanks in advance for any help.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 10th, 2011 15:00

Geekeleh

I certainly suggest making sure that you have the most up to date video driver.  The latest Dell drivers may be found from the following link.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=XPS_L502X&os=W764&osl=en&catid=&impid=

You may want to creat an Optimus profile for your applications to ensure that the NVIDIA GPU is being used over the integrated Intel solution.

To create a new profile for an application:

• 1. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel.
  • 2. Select Manage 3D Settings.
  • 3. Select Program Settings tab
  • 4. Click Add button.
  • 5. Browse to and select the application executable that needs the new profile.
  • 6. Or choose the preferred application from the drop menu.
  • 7. Select the features and settings you wish to change for this application.

Don't forget the basics, try another display if possible and see if the problem continues.  Try another HDMI cable to make sure that the cable is alright. \

Please, let me know what you find out.

TB 

7 Posts

May 13th, 2011 21:00

Thanks for the reply. I already made sure I had updated drivers. The HDMI cable is OK - works fine with another laptop.

I think what I need are instructions on how to enable clone display in the Nvidia Control Panel. The Nvida help says in a footnote:

"For example, you can enable Clone mode between a display connected to an NVIDIA GPU and a display connected to the integrated graphics processor. This is a unique Optimus feature that is not available through the Windows control panel or the integrated graphics control panel."

The Nvidia  instructions for showing the same information on both displays tell me to set up multiple displays and state that I should see them when they are on and connected. However, only the Samsung TV shows up. I don't see the pc monitor (laptop screen) in the nvidia control panel, and I cannot figure out how to show the same information on the tv as is on my laptop desktop. Essentially, I want to use the lcd tv as a giant monitor. This is something I can do with no difficulty on my Latitude E6400 from work..

I have tried setting the Nvidia Control Panel to use only the nvidia graphics, and that made no difference. I also set it use only the integrated graphics, and that also made not difference.

Just to clarify, I do see the laptop screen on the tv, but it is in extend mode, which is not what I want.

I am stuck and think I must be missing something. Any additional help would be appreciated.

May 17th, 2011 13:00

I am having the same problem. There's no clone option just extend. What is interesting I did have cloned image on both displays before I changed the options to use just one. Both screens were detected as one an the same ( both displayed big '1' after clicking 'identify' option). I tried also options from nvidia panel but with no luck. My case occured on lg flatron lcd as external display. Any help will be also appreciated ;)

May 18th, 2011 07:00

That's nice I have to try it out, but as far as you know is BIOS update essential? Or you've just given it a try before installing new video drivers? 

Asking because, I don't fancy updating bios very often ;)

7 Posts

May 18th, 2011 07:00

Problem solved!

Visited the Dell support website a few minutes ago. There were new updates for bios and video driver.

1. Updated bios to A05

2. Downloaded and installed latest Nvidia drivers which provide "Support for Nvidia Optimus v2.0 Hotplug Clone mode feature (And able to clone mode via Nvidia control panel)."

3. Restarted

4. Opened Nvidia control panel and Setup Multiple Displays now shows both my laptop display and the Samsung tv.

Why are these products released as beta versions with the customer left to find problems? Fortunately, this fix came relatively soon. But I still wasted several hours trying to find a fix.

7 Posts

May 18th, 2011 08:00

I don't think the bios update is needed for the xps 15. I actually updated the bios a few days ago hoping it would solve the cloning issue. It didn't, but it hasn't caused any problems either. I am also leery of bios dates, but they are easier now than when they were on floppy discs. I also make sure I am on ac power and weather is good so there won't be any power blackouts.

The new video driver enables cloning, but it did away with a useful option in the Nvidia control panel Display section: Adjust the Desktop size and Position. I found this useful because my laptop desktop is cutoff a bit on my tv. For me, this is much less of a big deal than the cloning, and I can work around it.

I am now going to return the $100 Netgear Push2tv box I bought when I thought I would not be able to clone via the hdmi cable. It was extremely easy to set up and worked well. It would be a good option if you need a wireless connection between pc and tv. For me, a long hdmi cable will do the trick.

June 8th, 2011 09:00

To be clear, did you find your new video driver at the Dell support site, or did you get your driver from nvidia's support site? (I'm having similar issues with a new Precision M4600 with nvidia Quadro 1000M.)

7 Posts

June 8th, 2011 15:00

I downloaded the driver from Dell's site for my specific computer. I would be cautious about using a driver from the nvidia site as it is possible that Dell has its own "customized" version.

1 Message

August 14th, 2011 16:00

Wow, this sounds exactly as what I'm looking for. I own a L501X with a 420m GPU and tried several drivers, including the ones for the L502X with the support for hotplug clone.

Unfortunately I am not able to find the setting to set the mode to clone. With the new driver, I see both GPUs in the nvidia control panel and both monitors, but there is no function to use a clone mode :(

Did I miss something or is there no support for the L501X yet? Does anyone know if there will be such an update for the "old" L501X too?

2 Posts

September 8th, 2011 15:00

Joe,

Have you resolved your problem with the Duplicate display between your Dell Precision M4600 with nvidia Quadro 1000M?  I have the exact same setup and same problem.  I am unable to get the duplicate display between my laptop and a Samsung LED TV using HDMI cable.  Please share your resolution if you had it.

Thanks.

Liem Do

8 Posts

November 8th, 2011 14:00

GEEKELEH,

Hi can you give me the exact driver version and for what dell laptop ?

it is very important for me to resolve the issue at hand. dell pro support was not able to fix the issue.

i have a bios a07 on a precision m4600 with nvidia quadro 2000M.

7 Posts

November 10th, 2011 16:00

As stated in my original solution post, I have a Dell L502X laptop. I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers for it at the Dell support website. At the time this was version 8.17.12.6721. There are later drivers on the Dell website now, but I have not downloaded them (if it ain't broke, I don't fix it). I'm afraid I can't help with solutions for any other laptop models.

8 Posts

November 10th, 2011 18:00

Thank you anyways, called DELL PRO SUPPORT we wasted 4 hours on the phone. They have no up to date driver like yours for my video card. I have a nvidia quadro 2000M. There is no driver which supports Optimus v 2.0 Hotswap clone feature. They don't have any idea when they will release it. I could of bought a much cheaper xps instead of the top of the line precision. DELL never stops amazing me for its awful support.

8 Posts

January 12th, 2012 07:00

after a month I get finally a reply from pro support.

with the excuse that because i have a IPS screen i cannot have a clone mode resolution on my external display. this is because the sandy bridge does not support.

but as written in previously by another member on this page.. he resolved the issue downloading a updated driver.

they are just wasting our time. and we should all do something about it.

i someone is interested contact me.

8 Posts

January 13th, 2012 09:00

Hello Terry,

The cable is perfectly fine and is an hdmi gold plated etc.. it is being connected directly to a Samsung led panel series 9. More panels have been tested when trying to view a presentation or watch a simple movie.

None work. Tried changing cable too. No solution yet.

No updated driver is available. Wrote again an email to PROSUPPORT hoping to receive a reply.

If you are able to find a driver which will support Optimus 2.0 hotplug then I would be greatful as should Dell inc. should be too.

This issue has been going on for more tha 6months.

If I do not find solution then I will request an exchange for a product which works fine.

I cannot believe I spent more than 4000 dollars for a machine which doesn't do what it's designed to do.

Kind regards,

Best of luck to find a solution.

Hoping the engineers you know can help.

No Events found!