Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2016 11:00

How do I clone the mSATA drive in my Inspiron 17R 7720?

I have two nearly identical Inspiron 17R 7720 laptops; one which I bought new from Dell 4 years ago and one which I bought used a couple of weeks ago. Both have identical hardware with the following exceptions: my original has a Core i7 processor and a 32 GB mSATA drive while the new one has a Core i5 processor and no mSATA drive. Hard drives, video, memory etc. are all identical on the two computers.

I purchased an identical mSATA drive for the new computer and am trying to clone the mSATA and HDD from the old computer so I can have two identical computers. I tried cloning the drives using Macrium Reflect. The HDD cloned successfully, but reflect only finds a 8GB unformatted partition on the old mSATA drive, not the whole 32GB. I cloned the new mSATA drive and tried it in my old computer it properly identified the drive but said it was not a valid RAID 0 volume and wanted me to change my drive configuration to non-RAID.

Any thoughts as to how I can properly clone the old mSATA drive to the new one?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 6th, 2016 11:00

You can't clone that drive.  What you'll need to do is set up the Intel IRST again.

www.dell.com/.../en

38 Posts

November 7th, 2016 20:00

Yes, that worked for me, thanks. I also found something not clearly covered in the support instructions - if the system recognizes the mSATA drive as a RAID 0 drive on boot, you have to mark it as a non-RAID drive in BIOS configuration before IRST will allow you to associate it with the HDD and enable acceleration. The instructions kind of dance around this issue but are not real clear about what you have to do.

No Events found!