Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

January 6th, 2016 07:00

How do I connect an external monitor to a new Dell XPS 13?

We got two new Dell XPS 13 for users and there does not seem to be any video out ports like on previous models.  This runs Windows 10 Professional and has an internal screen resolution of 1920x1080.  Looks like there is 2 USB 3.0 super speed ports and possibly a (thunderbolt)??? port?

I've heard of USB-C so I'm not sure if this one port on the left side is that, or if its thunderbolt.  I googled thunderbolt to hdmi adapter and in all the images I find it always shows a mini display port on one end despite the descriptions saying thunderbolt.

So whats the cheapest way to get HDMI out on this laptop?

1 Rookie

• 

358 Posts

January 6th, 2016 08:00

Ah so the USB-C is the same thing as "Thunderbolt" ?  Thank you for the link, but the price is in euros.  I was able to google the description and get the same page in USD, though $40.  At least its cheaper than the $120 USB 3.0 dock and doesn't require an additional power source.  We've used the docks before on various brand laptops, they are great for adding multiple displays at a desk.

• 

351 Posts

Hi,

The Thunderbolt( USB Type C port) on the Left Hand side deals with the video output on the system. You will need to purchase a USB Type C to HDMI adapter to display video.

The cable is available on the Dell website here

• 

351 Posts

No problem, sorry it wasn't in $, because I'm in the UK it defaults to my location so it'll show as £

2 Posts

January 6th, 2016 09:00

I also just purchased the "new" XPS 13 (9350) with a thunderbolt port and a P2416d monitor with HDMI, USB, VGA, and last but not least Displayport. I would prefer to connect the monitor going thunderbolt to Displayport. Can you please tell me what cable I would need to purchase? Also will I need to install the USB upstream cable to the computer too? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• 

351 Posts

January 7th, 2016 03:00

@Emmakai

There are no USB-C to DP cables available from Dell. The only cables available are these USB-C Cables (USB-C to VGA/HDMI/Ethernet/USB-A)

There are a couple of sites selling USB-C to DP that a quick search will find

2 Posts

January 7th, 2016 04:00

Thank you very much. This explains why after hours of searching Dell website I didn't seem to be finding what I needed! Also appreciate the specific google search criteria!

1 Message

February 21st, 2016 10:00

I have 9350 notebook and DA200 adapter, but it dont support 2560x1080 ultra-wide screens, am I doing something wrong?

How to plug ultrawide monitor to XPS 13?

Thanks.

5 Posts

April 20th, 2016 12:00

I just purchased a 2016 XPS 13 9350 and now find out that the only way to hook up any monitor what so ever is to by a dell dock or adapter.  THERE IS NO CABLE THAT CAN BE USED ALONE TO HOOK UP THIS LAPTOP TO A MONITOR.  

I work in three offices and the adapter I got lasted 2 weeks before burning out and it was the second one.  20% of forum posters are having the same issue so using a $200 doc now.  That is $600 for the 3 offices I work in if I don't want to carry around a doc that is heavier than the laptop!  

Who in their right mind at Dell product management would make a lightweight laptop that had no option to hook up a monitor with just a cable.  Why they couldn't also include a DP or HDMI port or hold off until there was a cable is nuts.  This stinks for us but great for Dell they now get to sell a lot more docs than ever before.

I have asked to return the laptop and get a surface or lenovo and our IT group is frantically looking at them with many more new employees coming on board. No way were are going to by $200 docs by the dozen. We were dedicated dell company but not anymore. 

4 Posts

May 12th, 2016 15:00

Why can't you use this adapter?

smile.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1;qid=1463088550&sr=8-1&keywords=usb-c+to+displayport

1 Message

August 15th, 2016 13:00

Hi Colin,

I saw your post concerning the USB-C to HDMI adapter from dell and I had a quick question for you.

I recently bought the DELL XPS 13 not realizing there was no HDMI port that i could connect another monitor to. I bought the USB-C to HDMI adapter from best buy (INSIGNIA brand) which works for a little bit, but then crashes after 5 minutes or so. Why is this happening and shouldn't the adapter be universal? Will getting the DELL brand of the adapter guarantee that this problem will stop? Otherwise, I will unfortunately be returning the laptop as connecting to a monitor is necessary. 

Thank you,

Cassidy

1 Message

August 31st, 2016 17:00

I purchased a USB 3.1-C to HDMI Adapter from Fry's electronics and it fits the thunderbolt port as well as the HDMI cable from the back of the monitor, yet, it keeps flickering and experiences temporary black outs.   I thought it was a faulty adapter and tried a new one.   Still the same.   Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

5 Posts

September 1st, 2016 18:00

None of the 3rd party adapters appear to work with dell xps 2016 for type c.  Get a dell one suggest the wd15.  lots of ports but with the power cord and brick is twice has heavy as your laptop.  

It is a crime that dell did not leave in a DP port until type c was widely adopted.  our company no longer buys the xps and is getting lenovo's. 

9 Posts

September 12th, 2016 09:00

I'm currently using a Display Link USB adapter (DA100) connected to an external monitor via HDMI.  I can duplicate / extend the display with the external monitor, but I cannot adjust the colour / gamma under Intel's graphic control panel, as the monitor is not directly connected to the laptop.

If I bought the Dell Adapter - USB-C to HDMI 2.0, would it solve my issue?

9 Posts

September 21st, 2016 07:00

Hi

Would a product manager or Colin H from Dell be able to provide an answer to my question before a purchase is committed to?

Thanks

5 Posts

September 21st, 2016 10:00

Hi Knorris8 - I have the wd15 dock with a dell U2515H monitor using a DP cable and I am able to adjust the color /gamma with the intel graphic app.  The dock is USB-C but very heavy and the power supply is huge.  Stupid that Dell again with their refresh this month for the XPS still has no direct way to connect a monitor using a DP/HDMI port like the 2015 model.  our company has moved to lenovo/apple, IT and the sales team does not want to buy and carry an adapter even a small one after buying a $1,500 light weight laptop.  

No Events found!