Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2012 12:00

How do I create image of DELL Laptop OS + drivers

I want to install Windows 7 Ultimate purchased from a retail store, onto my DELL Laptop which was supplied with Ubuntu. After installing the Windows OS and all the drivers for Windows 7 downloaded from the website, which is a time consuming process when done manually one by one for each driver, I want to create an image of the OS + drivers. Then fromnext time I want to only use that image file to install Windows 7 and all the drivers on the Laptop without having to do it manually and individually for each driver. Kindly advise on how to do it.

934 Posts

August 10th, 2012 13:00

Note:

As with any Backup software you need to make a bootable Rescue CD which you will be reminded by Macrium Reflect.You have 2 options : A Linux based or WinPE based bootable CD.Choose WinPE even though it means you have to download and install a 1.7GByte Windows WAIK file.It's definetly worth it - you will be guided by Macrium Reflect.....

934 Posts

August 10th, 2012 13:00

I used to use free EASEUS Backup software but have now switched to free Macrium Reflect.Excellent software and it is exactly what you want.

www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 10th, 2012 14:00

You can also use the free utility that is included in Windows 7: Backup and Restore which will make a complete system image of the drive to store on an external drive. That means everything including all added programs, drivers and files. You will also be prompted to make a rescue disk that you use as a boot disk to access the system image.

934 Posts

August 10th, 2012 15:00

Mary G is right - use Win7 Backup utility - it definitely works and is very easy to use.

The reason why I use Macrium Reflect is:

> it's fast

> good compression

> more flexible

> can mount image-file to extract files

> can put rescue ISO file and image file on a bootable USB stick

> works even with Windows 8 and I have no problems with my 4k-sector size hdd

No Events found!