Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2016 17:00

How do I know which Drivers to Update - General question

Hi, first time user of the forum. I have Inspiron 15 7568 on Win 10. When I go to the driver download centre, it recognizes PC and prefills service tag and comes up with Drivers but does not indicate if my PC actually requires these. For example, when i install one of these and return to the Driver download page, the latest driver is still indicated as a download option.

Another question is that when I just use the Dell apps on win 10 to see the status of my PC it sais that all important drivers are up to date. Bit confused. If someone could advise on how they keep there Dell up to date it would be appreciated.

Thanks J

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 13th, 2016 07:00

:emotion-2:

I'd like to suggest you click on the link below to get a fundamental sense of what each driver does for your computer.

www.dell.com/.../EN

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

" Another question is that when I just use the Dell apps on win 10 to see the status of my PC it sais that all important drivers are up to date "

I'm assuming you're using Dell Support Assist to check for important drivers updates? If yes, Dell Support Assist is very reliable and accurate for detecting important drivers on the system.  

https://youtu.be/3k7CRFnBVAo

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

" For example, when i install one of these and return to the Driver download page, the latest driver is still indicated as a download option "

It might take a few days to be updated on your Dell Product Support page. 

Drivers and Downloads FAQs

www.dell.com/.../SLN128938

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 14th, 2016 03:00

Thank for the replies. Yes I am using Dell Support Assist which stated that I was up to date. However, the Bios on the Support page was a later one (which I updated). I would have thought that the BIOS update would have been an important one that I would have at least got a notification of? Thanks

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 14th, 2016 07:00

Or.....

click on windows icon at left bottom of taskbar, click Settings, System, and then 'Notifications & actions', see image below:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 14th, 2016 07:00

I suggest you click on the Support Assist settings icon and then click 'Notification', see image below.  

November 14th, 2016 15:00

Thanks again guys. I had those settings above in place (they were already the default). However they did not recognise the new bios update. This makes me wonder how effective the notifications are. Have you cross checked all the important drivers available to see if they align with what is installed?

No Events found!