PellDon
1 Copper

How do I remove the owners name on a Dell laptop?

This is a very basic question. I have a new Dell laptop which is working very well but I was going to donate my old Dell laptop to a charity or a centre where older people can use it.

I have deleted all the personal files and programs but the owners name[admin] keeps on coming up.

How do I remove this from the computer? I don't know who will use the computer in the future but it still has some good life in it.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: How do I remove the owners name on a Dell laptop?

PellDon,

You can click the links below for information on preparing your computer to donate.

Prepare an old PC for a new owner

How Do I Remove My Information From A Computer Before Donating It?

0 Kudos
DellBell45
1 Copper

Hi Jesse

I tried these solutions and have spent about three hours trying to solve this problem. My wife has a new Dell laptop but we want to donate the old one to charity. I can't remove the owners name with the steps above. I think the transfer of ownership has to be done online. The problem is that I don't know who the new owner will be: all I want to do is remove the old owner's name. The other problem is I can't get Dell tech support with the Dell laptop I want to remove the name from, even though we have purchased about four Dell computers over the years, the latest being in 2016.

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Simply remove the hard drive before donating the computer, and retain it.  

0 Kudos