Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2017 06:00

How do I update certain Dell drivers?

Hello, some Dell Driver update files give me three options: Repair, Change, and Uninstall.  There is no option to update them.  How can I update these drivers?  Do I uninstall them and then reinstall them using the updated file?  Some only give me the option to Repair them.  Thank you.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2017 13:00

Generally, you simply download the driver and run it. Windows does the rest. But, I only update a driver to correct a specific issue with a hardware device. Do you currently have issues that you are trying to correct?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 24th, 2017 17:00

If those are your only options, then unless that installer is very poorly written, it means that the version you're trying to install is the same as the version that's already installed on the system.  If the version you were trying to install was newer, the installation would proceed as normal without giving you those options.  But if you have a badly written installer, then just choose Repair, since that will force the entire installation routine to run again and fix any problems that may exist -- but rerunning the entire installation would also cause any older files to be updated.

No Events found!