Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

March 15th, 2008 03:00

How many hours at most can I use the notebook daily in order to prevent computer overwork?

I know that, if the notebook is used for a long time every day, the computer will be overworked and liable to malfunction.  But how many hours are too long?

How many hours at most can I use the notebook daily (or weekly) in order to prevent computer overwork?

March 15th, 2008 03:00

Well it seems logical that the more you use your notebook, the more susceptible it is to failure. Most, if not all components have a lifecycle anyway. Nowadays failures can occur that have nothing to do with how often you use your notebook and for how long. The fact is I don’t think anyone can say with certainty the max hrs you should use your notebook daily, to prevent “overwork”. If I told you 8hrs for example, I know someone would dispute it. What I can tell you is that, I have a latitude d620 that stays powered on at least 15hrs out of the day. I’ve had no issues with overheating and It’s constantly be used for something. Who knows maybe dell has a recommended amount of time, based on your particular model!     

28K Posts

March 15th, 2008 04:00

Computers are meant to be used.  I have on laptop that has been powered on an running various applications continuoulsly for the last 4 years.  It has never had a problem.   I use my work laptop at least 15 hours a day with no problems.  

Steve

617 Posts

March 15th, 2008 19:00

Notebooks aren't meant to be turned on 24/7, so my general guidelines are turn it on when you wake up and turn it off when you go to bed. That's what I've been doing with my D620 (and D610 and L400) for many years.

I wouldn't worry too much if you have a Latitude and keep it on most of the day.

1.5K Posts

March 15th, 2008 21:00

My Latitude LM P133 has been on for at least twenty hours every day for nearly eleven years and has never had any problems.

Current (Dell Spare Parts) battery has been in its bay for over eight years and still has better than 50% of its original 'run-time'.

Was upgraded to its maximum potential in 1998 with 72 MB RAM, 6.1 GB HD and Windows 98 and has never needed any format/reload of OS.

Now semi-retired, it rides in the cabin as a GPS powered 'Air-Show' for the entertainment of the passengers.

Art

March 16th, 2008 11:00

You sure utilized that computer to max...

No Events found!