Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

July 10th, 2010 23:00

How much ram can I upgrade to in my Vostro 1000?

I have a Dell Vostro 1000;

Windows XP PRO Service Pack 3 1.90 GIG AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core TK-57

512 Memory Cache   

64 bit ready   (what does that mean? Can I upgrade to 64?)

2 slots   DIMM A has 1024   DIMM B has 1024  

Can I upgrade at least to 2GB in each slot = 4GB ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

20 Posts

July 10th, 2010 23:00

1024MB=1GB.

Can't answer the 64 bit ready because I don't the drivers and other things.

Maybe someone else can answer that since I don't know much about it anyway. (Though I have a 64bit operating system....) I think you just want to have everything to be compatible with 64bit. Otherwise your going to spend money or have issues with your computer.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 11th, 2010 04:00

Max is 1G per socket, or 2 total.  Yes, the system can run a 64-bit OS (but it's not worth doing so because of the RAM ceiling).

1 Message

July 26th, 2010 01:00

I know what you are saying - the Owners Manual says that the maximum ram is 1GB x 2 slots, but I put a 2GB stick in one of my slots and (1) the BIOS recognized it and did the memory check on it, and (2) when I am in Windows XP, the Task Manager also recognises that there is a 2GB stick in it (the other stick is a 512MB, so Task Manager says that there is slightly over 2500MB of RAM.  What is happening here?  Did Dell somehow sell a Vostro 1000 that can actually take 4GB???  The chip in my Vostro 1000 is the AMD Athlon 64 X2 (TK-57 Model 8, Stepping 2, 800MHz FSB) and the BIOS is the latest revision 2.6.3.

So, I would say to imducky1 that maybe you CAN put more RAM in your Vostro 1000 than the 2GB that the Dell specs state.  Don't go out and buy a 2GB stick just based on this, but if you know somebody that does have a 2GB stick in their laptop, try temporarily putting the stick in your Vostro and see if it is recognised.  I mean, if Windows recognises it, I would think that it would be accessible.  Anybody know more on this subject than I do???  I find it very interesting.

3 Posts

July 28th, 2010 20:00

Thanks for your info, Im gonna give it a try......Imducky1

1 Message

October 7th, 2010 20:00

Hi, no the max amount of RAM a vostro 1000 can handle is 2.0GB (1.0GB per slot). You don't have to go more than 2.0 GB. My Vostro 1000 is running Windows 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit with no problems at all. It's very fast and never gives me any hassles. If I compare it with the XP OS that was previously installed then I must say that I can't even tell the difference. It took a couple of driver downloads and updates and now it's the best I've seen on these laptops.  

October 19th, 2010 21:00

I have read about the Vostro 1000 being able to support 4 gb sticks 8 gb total is this true or is that just somthing that is not true.  If so it would be nice to know if 8 gb total is possible or if 4gb total is the max.

November 8th, 2010 09:00

Just to set the record straight on the dell Vostro 1000 if the motherboard and processor are 64 x2  compatible with windows 7pro you are able to put 8gb of ram into the laptop i have done it to my own runs very smooth nothing wrong with it.  The speed has to be 667 mhz  800 mhz is too fast for the laptop it wont recognize it.  send me a message back if you have any questions!

November 8th, 2010 09:00

Yes you can upgrade actually with windows 7 if you install the new bios 2.6.3(use windows XP to do so win 7 doesn't like you when you try it) i believe that's what it is and get 2 sticks of 667 MHZ memory at 4 gb each stick you can max out the laptop at 8gb max.  This system does support 8gb  it also supports 4gb but the speed on the memory HAS TO BE 667 MHZ  800 MHZ is not compatible at least with 2 4 gb sticks of ram.  The max for the Dell Vostro 1000 is 8gb of ram if and only if your motherboard and processor are 64 bit not 32 because only 64 bit operating systems such as windows 7 will support the higher memory modules and the computer boots just fine with the 8gb of ram.  I have not noticed any problems with having the memory in it.  I have not experienced any blue screens or anything of the such.  Contact me if you want some more info on how it works.

October 31st, 2011 20:00

Hi,

I do have Vostro1000 today I got 4GB rams 667mhz, the BIOS read it no problem.Dell  Windows 7 upgrade Pro 32bit read there is 4GB BUT 2.62usable.  This mean I use only 2.62GB of the 4GB.  I opened Task Manager, In task Manager total of the rams is 2.62GB. My question is Do you have same problem dont you?

Thanks,

8 Posts

November 20th, 2011 10:00

Hi, I also have a DELL Vostro 1000

Specs:

AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-58 1.9 GHz, L2:1MB  (upgraded, first was AMD Athlon 64 x2 TK-53)

My original configuration was 2x512MB Ram = 1 GB 

So I decided to upgrade to 4GB

i've put 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz CL6 Kingston and work very well !

BUT: under Win7 x32 only 2.62 are usable , i'm about to upgrade to x64 Win7 and check if the problem persists.

Even though DELL says it up 2GB, I guess you can easily upgrade to 4GB.

8 Posts

November 20th, 2011 15:00

Allright ! 

So i installed Windows 7 x64 bit Ultimate.

Now it shows 4GB (3.87 usable) so that's great !

Needed drivers:

Video: download and install from dell support/drivers and download ATI Catalyst for Windows Vista x32 (yes, it works on Win7 x64)

Audio: it is detected automaticaly by windows but it plays at very poor quality so you need to download and install from dell support/drivers and downloads for Windows Vista x32 (yes, it works on Win7 x64)

Touchpad: to use touchpad properly you need to go to synaptics official site and download latest drivers for WinVista/Win7 x64 (google it!)

Improvements:

A faster computer !

Full-HD/HD Movies or YouTube 1080p/720p work just great with no lags !!!

So I guess this upgrade was worth it . If you want to perform an upgrade on a DELL Vostro 1000 - don't hesitate :emotion-2:

PS: you may also need to instal 56K Modem Drivers (if you need/use one) :emotion-2:

8 Posts

November 25th, 2011 12:00

Wanted also to suggest one thing for video drivers:

I've realised that after downloading ATI drivers from dell support/drivers it automatically started to install x32 drivers that visually worked well but had troubles with some games.

I tried to download needed/latest x64 drivers from ATI official site. Yes , they have installed but worked very poor. Also my system started to slow down after i installed this driver. (so drivers from ati are not the best option)

So my advice is: after downloading and unpacking ATI installation software (from dell site), you'll see that in installation folder are several folders. Open up folder named "Bin64" and run  SETUP.EXE . After installation the laptop will reboot and the driver will work just fine.

For full functionality (for games) , open ATI Catalyst >>>Notebook Panel Properties>>> Scalling: Full Screen

Apply and enjoy a fully working x64 bit Win7 OS on a DELL Vostro1000.

Hope it helped :)

November 29th, 2011 15:00

So yeah, I was just given a Dell Vostro 1000 with an Athlon X2 TK-55 at 1.79 GHz. (my mom bought a new HP laptop, wanted me to get all her photos, etc. off the Dell and gave it to me, and it had 1GB RAM in it (800 something MB showing up in Windows, I'm guessing shared video memory as with most laptops).  I have an HP G60 that has a broken screen, and 3GB RAM.  So I pulled the 2GB and the 1GB chips from the G60, and swapped them with the two 512MB chips in the Dell, and on boot, in the BIOS it shows I have 3GB, and of course, in Windows, it shows 2.62GB RAM. (Again, I'm thinking shared video memory).  So yeah, I know the RAM slots on this board do accept 2GB chips, wish I had some 4GB chips lying around.  Anybody know if there is a way to adjust the amount of video memory the Radeon Xpress 1150 is using?  I'd love to bump that 256MB up to at least 512MB or even 1GB if at all possible. 

8 Posts

November 30th, 2011 08:00

Upgrade to x64 Win7 and it will show 1.8Ghz of video in dxdiag )) (with 4gigs of ram) . . . but of course , this card wont work as a real 1.8gb ))) i'd rather say it's working as a 64MB videocard )) 2.62 Usable Ram isn't because of video , it's because of x32 windows.

December 11th, 2011 20:00

Yep, dualbooting Ubuntu 11.10 and Win7 Ultimate now, it's showing 1.3 gigs of video RAM with my 3 gigs DDR2, which is a huge improvement.  Although Quake 4 has ridiculous screen flicker, and I would run it under Ubuntu, however, ATI discontinued driver support for this specific gfx card with the 9.3 update for legacy drivers/Ubuntu 9.04, so I'm kind of screwed on that... Runs Q3A great under Linux though. (under Wine, better than it runs natively on Windows, XP, 7, or otherwise, kind of funny if you ask me...)

No Events found!