BuzzTTC
6 Indium

Re: How much ram can I upgrade to in my Vostro 1000?

Hi, I also have a DELL Vostro 1000

Specs:

AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-58 1.9 GHz, L2:1MB  (upgraded, first was AMD Athlon 64 x2 TK-53)

My original configuration was 2x512MB Ram = 1 GB 

So I decided to upgrade to 4GB

i've put 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz CL6 Kingston and work very well !

BUT: under Win7 x32 only 2.62 are usable , i'm about to upgrade to x64 Win7 and check if the problem persists.

Even though DELL says it up 2GB, I guess you can easily upgrade to 4GB.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
BuzzTTC
6 Indium

Allright ! 

So i installed Windows 7 x64 bit Ultimate.

Now it shows 4GB (3.87 usable) so that's great !

Needed drivers:

Video: download and install from dell support/drivers and download ATI Catalyst for Windows Vista x32 (yes, it works on Win7 x64)

Audio: it is detected automaticaly by windows but it plays at very poor quality so you need to download and install from dell support/drivers and downloads for Windows Vista x32 (yes, it works on Win7 x64)

Touchpad: to use touchpad properly you need to go to synaptics official site and download latest drivers for WinVista/Win7 x64 (google it!)

Improvements:

A faster computer !

Full-HD/HD Movies or YouTube 1080p/720p work just great with no lags !!!

So I guess this upgrade was worth it . If you want to perform an upgrade on a DELL Vostro 1000 - don't hesitate emoticon.BigSmile.title

PS: you may also need to instal 56K Modem Drivers (if you need/use one) emoticon.BigSmile.title

0 Kudos
BuzzTTC
6 Indium

Wanted also to suggest one thing for video drivers:

I've realised that after downloading ATI drivers from dell support/drivers it automatically started to install x32 drivers that visually worked well but had troubles with some games.

I tried to download needed/latest x64 drivers from ATI official site. Yes , they have installed but worked very poor. Also my system started to slow down after i installed this driver. (so drivers from ati are not the best option)

So my advice is: after downloading and unpacking ATI installation software (from dell site), you'll see that in installation folder are several folders. Open up folder named "Bin64" and run  SETUP.EXE . After installation the laptop will reboot and the driver will work just fine.

For full functionality (for games) , open ATI Catalyst >>>Notebook Panel Properties>>> Scalling: Full Screen

Apply and enjoy a fully working x64 bit Win7 OS on a DELL Vostro1000.

Hope it helped 🙂

0 Kudos
WarezCoxtrong
1 Copper

So yeah, I was just given a Dell Vostro 1000 with an Athlon X2 TK-55 at 1.79 GHz. (my mom bought a new HP laptop, wanted me to get all her photos, etc. off the Dell and gave it to me, and it had 1GB RAM in it (800 something MB showing up in Windows, I'm guessing shared video memory as with most laptops).  I have an HP G60 that has a broken screen, and 3GB RAM.  So I pulled the 2GB and the 1GB chips from the G60, and swapped them with the two 512MB chips in the Dell, and on boot, in the BIOS it shows I have 3GB, and of course, in Windows, it shows 2.62GB RAM. (Again, I'm thinking shared video memory).  So yeah, I know the RAM slots on this board do accept 2GB chips, wish I had some 4GB chips lying around.  Anybody know if there is a way to adjust the amount of video memory the Radeon Xpress 1150 is using?  I'd love to bump that 256MB up to at least 512MB or even 1GB if at all possible. 

0 Kudos
BuzzTTC
6 Indium

Upgrade to x64 Win7 and it will show 1.8Ghz of video in dxdiag )) (with 4gigs of ram) . . . but of course , this card wont work as a real 1.8gb ))) i'd rather say it's working as a 64MB videocard )) 2.62 Usable Ram isn't because of video , it's because of x32 windows.

0 Kudos
WarezCoxtrong
1 Copper

Yep, dualbooting Ubuntu 11.10 and Win7 Ultimate now, it's showing 1.3 gigs of video RAM with my 3 gigs DDR2, which is a huge improvement.  Although Quake 4 has ridiculous screen flicker, and I would run it under Ubuntu, however, ATI discontinued driver support for this specific gfx card with the 9.3 update for legacy drivers/Ubuntu 9.04, so I'm kind of screwed on that... Runs Q3A great under Linux though. (under Wine, better than it runs natively on Windows, XP, 7, or otherwise, kind of funny if you ask me...)

0 Kudos
BuzzTTC
6 Indium

i have had the same issue under Win7 (flickering screen) , it's because of wrong drivers. You have to download vista drivers from dell site. If you are running an x64 OS , in download folder will also be a folder BIN64. Run setup.exe.

0 Kudos
bat14
1 Copper

Do you have any tips about the screen going black.  My laptop stalls somtimes with a black screen when trying to open a browser window.  Using Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit and IE 8. I also get an error when I try to copy a prntscrn to the paint brush.  I just get a black pasted square for my screenshot.  Please let me know anything that might have been help ful in your driver upgrade process.  THank you,

0 Kudos
BuzzTTC
6 Indium

Is it a Dell Vostro 1000 ? AMD or Intel Based chipset ?

Did you flash BIOS to latest version ? There was an issue with AMD Based laptops with flickering screen, driver error etc.

In my case (with amd) BIOS update helped.

Also, are you sure you run a legit OS ? ))

0 Kudos
Duke2k
1 Copper

I have recently upgraded my Vostro 1000 (AMD Turion X2 TL-60, Windows 7 64bit) from 2 GB to 8 GB RAM without any problems. BIOS (version 2.6.3) and OS both recognize all of the 8 GB. Due to the X1150 Radeon chip using shared memory, Windows reports that 7.87 GB are usable.

Note, however, that the modules used must be PC2-5300 ones (667 MHz clock speed). 800 MHz modules are said not to work.

0 Kudos