Highlighted
Lobbers
2 Bronze

How to Change Boot Order

Jump to solution

I have a Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop.

I know I can single boot using F12, and choose to boot from a USB, but one day I may need to boot direct from a USB without having access to F12.

So I want to change the boot order to enable me to automatically boot from a USB first, if one is present.

Is this possible, and if so, how do I do it?

Thank you.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Xenon

RE: How to Change Boot Order

Jump to solution

If you want to permanently leave the USB device as first, set the system to legacy mode (UEFI off) and do a ground-up reinstall of Windows in legacy mode.

You can't do what you want to do with the factory install (which is set in UEFI mode).

0 Kudos
7 Replies
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

You cannot with the UEFI system setup - it'll only show the flash drive as bootable if it's connected to the system and has a bootable UEFI (GPT) partition on it.

0 Kudos
Lobbers
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain clearly:

I have bootable recovery usbs (including my Dell recovery usb). I can choose F12 at startup and boot from these.

However, what I want to do is to be able to boot STRAIGHT from a usb without needing to use F12.

My current boot setup is:

UEFI BOOT:

USB Entry for Windows to Go (no device)

Windows Boot Manager

UEFI onboard LAN ipv4

UEFI onboard LAN ipv6 

From what I understand (from a tutorial I have followed on www.eightforums.com) that first entry should mean that the system now searches first for a bootable usb. But even with a bootable usb connected I get (no device). And I have tried different usb ports and different recovery usbs (all of which work fine if I use F12 at startup).

So my question is:

Is it possible to set up my Dell laptop so that it will look for a bootable usb BEFORE it uses Windows Boot Manager?

And if the answer to the above question is 'Yes'; how do I do this?

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

If you want to permanently leave the USB device as first, set the system to legacy mode (UEFI off) and do a ground-up reinstall of Windows in legacy mode.

You can't do what you want to do with the factory install (which is set in UEFI mode).

0 Kudos
Lobbers
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank you for this. I've had a week of refreshing and restoring so I'm not prepared to do yet another. And I'm not sure I want to change from UEFI boot either.  I'll just have to hope that F12 never lets me down if I need it emoticon.Smile.title

Is this standard for Dell laptops? I like the Dell product but I know that there are other products out there that do offer the option to make this change in the bios. And this could influence future purchases for me.

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

it is standard for anything using a UEFI BIOS.  Unless the device you want to boot has a GPT partition on it, UEFI cannot boot from it.  If it does, it can be added to the boot menu and used to boot the system.

0 Kudos
Lobbers
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Is it possible to create a GPT partition on the usb drive or do I need a particular type of usb that already has this partition?

If it is possible to create the partition, can you please explain how I would do this (or direct me to a tutorial somewhere).

Thank you.

0 Kudos