Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 1st, 2014 10:00

How to Change Boot Order

I have a Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop.

I know I can single boot using F12, and choose to boot from a USB, but one day I may need to boot direct from a USB without having access to F12.

So I want to change the boot order to enable me to automatically boot from a USB first, if one is present.

Is this possible, and if so, how do I do it?

Thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 15th, 2014 07:00

If you want to permanently leave the USB device as first, set the system to legacy mode (UEFI off) and do a ground-up reinstall of Windows in legacy mode.

You can't do what you want to do with the factory install (which is set in UEFI mode).

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 1st, 2014 10:00

You cannot with the UEFI system setup - it'll only show the flash drive as bootable if it's connected to the system and has a bootable UEFI (GPT) partition on it.

27 Posts

November 15th, 2014 07:00

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain clearly:

I have bootable recovery usbs (including my Dell recovery usb). I can choose F12 at startup and boot from these.

However, what I want to do is to be able to boot STRAIGHT from a usb without needing to use F12.

My current boot setup is:

UEFI BOOT:

USB Entry for Windows to Go (no device)

Windows Boot Manager

UEFI onboard LAN ipv4

UEFI onboard LAN ipv6 

From what I understand (from a tutorial I have followed on www.eightforums.com) that first entry should mean that the system now searches first for a bootable usb. But even with a bootable usb connected I get (no device). And I have tried different usb ports and different recovery usbs (all of which work fine if I use F12 at startup).

So my question is:

Is it possible to set up my Dell laptop so that it will look for a bootable usb BEFORE it uses Windows Boot Manager?

And if the answer to the above question is 'Yes'; how do I do this?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 18th, 2014 08:00

it is standard for anything using a UEFI BIOS.  Unless the device you want to boot has a GPT partition on it, UEFI cannot boot from it.  If it does, it can be added to the boot menu and used to boot the system.

27 Posts

November 18th, 2014 08:00

Thank you for this. I've had a week of refreshing and restoring so I'm not prepared to do yet another. And I'm not sure I want to change from UEFI boot either.  I'll just have to hope that F12 never lets me down if I need it :emotion-1:

Is this standard for Dell laptops? I like the Dell product but I know that there are other products out there that do offer the option to make this change in the bios. And this could influence future purchases for me.

27 Posts

November 18th, 2014 10:00

Is it possible to create a GPT partition on the usb drive or do I need a particular type of usb that already has this partition?

If it is possible to create the partition, can you please explain how I would do this (or direct me to a tutorial somewhere).

Thank you.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 18th, 2014 11:00

No Events found!