Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2016 04:00

How to Install Windows 7 on a new SSD, from Dell Windows 7 DVD

I have a new SSD for my Precision 7510 workstation.  I need to install windows 7 on it from the DVD provided by Dell.  The DVD has no Drivers and consequently when I try and install, I get a message about "The installation media does not contain any drivers" and the installation will not allow me to continue.  Bear in mind that my new SSD has no recovery partition or in fact any partition.  I have a Cab file of drivers and I have also unpacked this onto a USB stick, but this does not appear as a drive when I 'browse'.  Neither does the new SSD - it has no partitions...

Do I need to format the SSD first?

Could anyone tell me where I can get the drivers and what form they need to be in?  That is, do I need to burn them onto a DVD and what would the directory structure look like?  Do I need to download all the drivers separately - there are a number of exes on the support site, or can I use the CAB file from Dell Enterprise site? 

I have been trying various things now for a number of days and I am losing my grip on reality :)

Many thanks in advance.

January 2nd, 2016 12:00

Philip, thank you so much.  You are truly a Rock Star!  I now have my 7510 laptop running a basic windows 7 x64.  I obviously need to get the rest of the drivers, but that's fine.  Thank you once again Philip, I am really grateful for your help.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 2nd, 2016 16:00

Great! Glad my guides have helped you. :)

January 3rd, 2016 05:00

Hi Philip, I have now installed Win7 from the USB drive, but once it boots up from the SSD, it doesn't see any USB ports.  I was going to download the drivers for all of the other devices from the Dell web site, and put them on a usb stick...  I did follow your guide with regard to the Intel USB drivers, and I can see some files in the C:\Drivers directory (nusb3hub.* and nusb3xch.*), but if I try and update the USB controller with these files, it says they are not for the correct device.  Any thoughts appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 3rd, 2016 08:00

January 3rd, 2016 12:00

Hi Philip, the second file  (6DVVG) did the trick.  I now have a completely re-installed Win7 laptop with all the correct drivers.  Many thanks once again, I am very grateful to you.  

4 Posts

April 8th, 2016 20:00

Might I bug you about how you got past the installation process? I extracted the suggested SATA driver to a USB and cannot get it to load the drive. I have a 256GB Samsung Pro M.2 drive installed that I'm trying to get Win7 x64 on. I'm able to 'browse' and navigate to the extracted SATA driver folder, but it still doesn't load the drive regardless if I have 'hide compatible' checked or not.

I'm stuck. Help!

Cheers :)

April 10th, 2016 06:00

I don't recall doing anything to get my m2 drive working, to be honest.  Philip Yip might be able to help you though...  He's' the guy that got my machine sorted out in the end.  He has various wikis and guides here:

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies

Hope these help.

All the best

-Neil

4 Posts

April 11th, 2016 12:00

Is there any change you still have your ISO? Getting desperate here. =[

April 12th, 2016 01:00

I'll have a look tonight when I get home from work.  I may not have the ISO any more though...

April 13th, 2016 00:00

I can't find the ISO, sorry.  I'll have a further hunt this evening...  I have a box of 'useful stuff' that I have yet to search through.  

The guides I mentioned earlier would probably be your best option though...

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 13th, 2016 02:00

Might I bug you about how you got past the installation process? I extracted the suggested SATA driver to a USB and cannot get it to load the drive. I have a 256GB Samsung Pro M.2 drive installed that I'm trying to get Win7 x64 on. I'm able to 'browse' and navigate to the extracted SATA driver folder, but it still doesn't load the drive regardless if I have 'hide compatible' checked or not.

I'm stuck. Help!

Cheers :)

Is this the same model of Dell? Precision 7510? Did it ship with Windows 10 Pro OEM or Windows 8.1 Pro OEM?

Have you got a Dell Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) Reinstallation DVD?

Have you converted it into a Reinstallation USB with USB 3.0 support? See my updated guide here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/converting-your-dell-windows-reinstallation-dvd-into-a-reinstallation-usb/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg8Oebhc3EI&index=2&list=PL1RkaknDn7v82tfEmxGgycwJJvJ0xGoqZ

Note the step to create an .iso from the USB near the end doesn't work in the video. Have you disabled SecureBoot and Enabled Legacy Roms? The above video covers this aswell as this guide:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/ensure-you-have-the-correct-sata-configuration-in-the-bios-setup-for-your-configuration/uefisecure-boot-disable/

Have you downloaded and prepared SATA preinstallation drivers? See my guide here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/downloading-preparing-and-loading-sata-drivers/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LS-74lQU8w&list=PL1RkaknDn7v82tfEmxGgycwJJvJ0xGoqZ&index=3&nohtml5=False

If so what ones and are they in the form as shown in the video i.e. extracted drivers and not a Windows .exe.

4 Posts

April 13th, 2016 08:00

I have half a dozen different Windows 7 w/ SP1 DVDs. I have injected the USB3 drivers on all the USB media successfully and am able to plug in a USB during the install process and read from it with no issue. The issue comes when trying to load the correct NVMe driver for the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 - nothing works. I spent 4+ hours on the phone w/ Dell's priority support and tried every driver they could throw at me.

I grabbed the Samsung drivers from here.

My machine mistakenly came with Win10 installed. I ordered Win7 but being out of town for several weeks during its arrival put me at the end of the 1 month return Window. 10+ hours of arguing with Dell got nowhere, so I'm left with a very expensive paperweight.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help. It's a very frustrating situation.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 13th, 2016 10:00

Its not Samsung drivers you need.. its Intel Storage Controller Drivers... What model of Dell is this?

4 Posts

April 13th, 2016 11:00

Precision 7510 - Service Tag: <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Not a single Windows install has recognized the 256GB 950 M.2 yet. USB3 is just fine.

No Events found!