Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2013 19:00

How to amend Service Tag on XPS 15z L511Z

Hi,

I bought an XPS 15z L511Z with a damage motherboard, just replaced by another  and it worked great, the only problem is Service Tag is blank, could you please help me to reset it?

I followed these steps in another post answered by Royan

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19371021/19846297.aspx#19846297

But it did not work with

1) Asset.com   --> error message   "This machine does not support Asset.com on service tag"

2) F2 key to access to BIOS I can change only date, time nothing else

Thanks in advance,

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

April 27th, 2013 01:00

Hi CauAm,

There are 2 ways to update/Enter the service tag on the computer:

Boot into BIOS. Restart the computer and tap F2 on Dell logo and enter the service tag in the service tag option.

[OR]

Boot from the resource disc, exit to dos.

Enter the following commands in the order.

DIR (Enter)

CD CSD

CD TOOLS

CD BIOS

DIR (Now, you would see the options ASSET 208 or Asset209 choose the Latest)

ASSET209 /S new service tag

Please try the above steps and reply.

14 Posts

April 27th, 2013 01:00

Hi Nikhil,

The first solution did not work on this laptop.

I want to try with the ressource disc, the only problem is I do not have this disc. Can you please show me where I can get it?

Thank you

CauAm

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

April 27th, 2013 02:00

Hi CauAm,

Please use the following link to request the OS and drivers Disks: http://dell.to/11KJ54i

The above link is for the US region. Please let me know if there is any difficulty in requesting the disk.

14 Posts

April 28th, 2013 19:00

Hi Nikhil,

Just sent a request but do not quite understand the above link for the OS and drivers, utilities only I did not see where I can ask the resource CD.

I have the Drivers, utilities DVD and DVD installation already just this CD you mentioned  I do not have it.

Thanks & regards,

CauAm

14 Posts

April 29th, 2013 10:00

Hi Nikhil,

Just downloaded R109071.exe (asset209.com) this utility is used for Dimension, OptiPlex, Precision: I am not sure it can use with my laptop Dell XPS 15z (L511Z)

Also it used floppy disk image which is I do not have this.

I tried to use R73202.exe and this program does not allow to set service tag.

Any idea how can I put the service tag on this laptop?

Thanks,

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

April 30th, 2013 05:00

Hi CauAm,

I suggest you to use the drivers and utilities disk that came along with the computer.

Please do not download any drivers, boot the system by using the Drivers and Utilities disk, follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Insert the disk in the optical drive.
  2. Restart the system by tapping F12 at Dell logo. Select Boot your computer from the CD/DVD.
  1. Enter the following commands in the order.
  • DIR (Enter)
  • Select ‘CD CSD’ press Enter
  • Select ‘CD TOOLS’ press Enter
  • Select ‘CD BIOS’ press enter
  • Select ‘DIR’ (Now, you would see the options ASSET 208 or Asset209 choose the Latest) and press enter.
  • Enter the Service tag beside ‘ASSET209 /S new service tag’ and press enter to save the changes.

Check if the above steps work and post the results.

14 Posts

May 2nd, 2013 08:00

Hi Nikhil,

Just received the Drivers and Utilities disk Dell P/N 04HPC and I followed these steps as you suggested unfortunately it does not have the directory CSD/TOOLS/BIOS on this disk.

I wonder the disk you mentioned it is not standard one, can you please give me ten.community.dell.com/.../20358381.aspx Dell P/N?

Thanks & regards,

CauAmm  

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 03:00

Hi CauAmm,

Please try the below mentioned steps:

1. Start the computer using the bootable media.
  2. Press immediately after the Dell logo appears. If the operating system logo appears, wait until you see the Microsoft® Windows® desktop, and then shut down the computer and try again.
  3. Press the arrow keys to select the drive containing the bootable media and then press .
  4. Capitalize all letters you type.
  5. Type asset, a space, and the new asset tag, and then press .

For example, type the following command line and then press :
asset ABC1234

An asset tag can have up to 10 characters; any combination of characters excluding spaces is valid.

1. When the computer prompts you to verify the asset tag, press . The computer displays the new or modified asset tag and the Service Tag.
  2. Restart your computer to exit the Asset Tag utility.

If the above steps do not work, the motherboard needs to be replaced.

Check if this steps help and reply.

No Events found!