Highlighted
robinb9
1 Nickel

How to connect a dell vostro 1500 laptop to rca on tv

I need to go from Svideo in the back of the laptop to RCA on the tv.

I have a cable that looks like a Y now.  the two tops: one is video only and one is Svideo.  The other side is SVideo.  This plugs into the back of the computer's svideo card.  When plugging in the yellow rca plug into the TV I do not get anything.

I have been on the phone with dell for 4 hours thinking it was the s video card but when using this same cable and going from Svideo to Svideo on another tv, it works fine so we know the cable and the Svideo is working but i cannot get it to work for RCA at all.

If you click on the fn and f8 keys it tells you no external display is attached. which means it cannot see the tv

Any suggestions?

robin

R&D Internet Associates, Central NJ, USA

We repair, teach XP & Vista (especially to beginners) data recovery and sell computers.  We mostly sell Dell Computers.  We treat your computer as if it is our own.

We beta test software for antivirus/antispyware companies prior to public release.

We also give free seminars on "How to Keep Your Computer Safe" to non profit organizations and busineses.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Sofu
3 Zinc

Re: How to connect a dell vostro 1500 laptop to rca on tv

Your adaptor cable probably has unsuitable wiring for a Dell computer in respect of composite video output. How many pins are present inside the S-video plug that attaches to the computer? If it has only the basic four pins then it is certainly not suitable for your Vostro 1500 as far as composite video output is concerned.
Message Edited by Sofu on 06-24-2008 09:47 AM
John

My Dell system

Inspiron 1520 purchased 5 Feb 2008
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7250:2.0Ghz, 2MB cache, 800MHz FSB
4GB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphics memory
0 Kudos
robinb9
1 Nickel

it has the 7 pins on the computer- 7 pins on the cable

but it doesn't work because it is not seeing the tv.

I have a dell desktop E521 with a tv tuner card in it and with this cable it sees it just fine.

robin

We repair, teach XP & Vista (especially to beginners) data recovery and sell computers.  We mostly sell Dell Computers.  We treat your computer as if it is our own.

We beta test software for antivirus/antispyware companies prior to public release.

We also give free seminars on "How to Keep Your Computer Safe" to non profit organizations and busineses.

0 Kudos
robinb9
1 Nickel

oh also i have plugged the Svideo from the laptop into a tv that has Svideo with this same cable and that works with no problem.  It just will not work rca.

robin

0 Kudos
Sofu
3 Zinc

I assume there is no user switch on your S-video TV-out adapter cable to change from S-video output to composite video output. If this assumption is correct, then for sure the Vostro 1500 will be capable of delivering only S-video output, when it can detect a TV.

If your S-video TV-out adapter cable does not have a user switch, then it must be using a crude method to derive composite video from S-video. This crude circuitry is probably blocking the Vostro 1500 from detecting the TV when the composite video RCA plug is connected.

Are you able to get the adapter cable to deliver composite video from any of the Dell computers that you have access to? 

John

My Dell system

0 Kudos
robinb9
1 Nickel

there is no switch on this cable it is just a cable

"Are you able to get the adapter cable to deliver composite video from any of the Dell computers that you have access to?"

Yes, as stated above it works with the dell desktop E521 running vista sp1 as RCA with no problems.  It will not work with the laptop running vista sp1

What is a user switch and?

also I am asking what else I can buy to make this work with RCA.

robin

0 Kudos
Sofu
3 Zinc

Your adapter cable is working with the Dimension E512 because the E512 delivers only an S-video output and the adapter is converting the S-video signal to a low-grade composite video signal. On the other hand the Vostro 1500 is capable of being configured by means of an appropriate adapter to deliver a high quality composite video signal. The default output signal from the Vostro is S-video.

To solve your problem I recommend you obtain from Dell an S-video to composite video adapter cable for the Vostro 1500. You will need to contact Dell service support (Spare Parts) for this adapter.

John

My Dell system

0 Kudos
robinb9
1 Nickel

John I bouight the  s video/tv compnt spdif cable   part number 310-9359 which dell told me would work.  Unfortuntetly it doesn't. and called dell to ask for a refund.  I hooked it with rca cables but it would not work.

These cables are gold tipped and a much better grade but again nothing happened.

can you take a look at this and see if this is what i would need?

http://www.svideo.com/7pin3rca.html

also i want to get a larger S video cable for those tvs that do have S Video

I give seminars and that is what i need this laptop for.  I either hook up into their VGA projectors or TVS.  Some have Svideo and some have RCA so i want both options

also can you take a look at this? for Svideo and tell me this is correct too please

http://www.svideo.com/7pin4pincable.html

If not I will call dell later today, do you happen to have the telephone number for  dell spare parts.  Maybe someone intelligent there will be able to figure this out for me and send me the correct thing.

thanks

robin

0 Kudos
Sofu
3 Zinc

Try one of the numbers at this link.

You have definitely been supplied by Dell with the wrong adapter. You need an adapter for composite TV-out not component TV-out.

John

My Dell system

0 Kudos
robinb9
1 Nickel

I called Dell and they told me they do not have this part at all, in fact they transferred me to another dept and they do not have it either

They looked at the website i posted to you and they claim this should work.

Do you think it will work?

robin

0 Kudos